1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Fan Kit vs. New Incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Nu Chix To Cash, May 10, 2011.

1. Nu Chix To Cash

Nu Chix To Cash Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Central Iowa
    I have a little giant still air incubator w/an egg turner. I've hatched 3 batches of bantam chicks and I'm on my first batch of duck eggs. The duck eggs aren't going very well. My temps have gone from a low of 99 to a high of 104. I'm finding it is very difficult to regulate the air temp in the lg. I want to try hatching again but I don't want to "fry" any eggs so I'm considering buying a fan kit for it. I'm wondering if buying a fan kit for a lg is like using duct tape to hang a 2 x 4. It'll work but nails are better and will last longer.

Am I better off to just buy a higher quiality incubator vs. sinking more money into the lg?

Please let me know what you would do from your experience. Buy the fan kit or scrap the LG and buy a new incubator (please specify which kind if this is your choice).

Thanks

2. latebloomer

latebloomer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    green mountain state
    i'd be inclined to buy something else.

that's from what i've heard of lg's

i have a hovabator 1602 that i added a fan to, and it did well for me, but you may want to move away from the styrofoam.

are you hatching for fun, or to make money, if it's the second, i'd definitely invest in something else.

3. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

4. Nu Chix To Cash

Apr 28, 2010
    Central Iowa
    From a visual standpoint - what is the difference between the Hovabator Genesis and the LG? They are both Styrofoam incubators.

I'm just hatching for fun. My two boys and I enjoy watching the "peeps" along their journey to hatch.

ETA - if I buy a Hovabator will my lg egg turner fit in it or will I have to buy a new one? Would I be able to then use the LG still air as a hatcher so I could add eggs to the Hovabator as they became available?

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  5. SundownWaterfowl

Quote:Not sure what model of LG you have but im guessing it has a wafer thermostat where the genesis has the electronic thermostat. The whole top of the genesis is plastic so you can see through, plus its like double paned so the heat doesn't escape.

6. SundownWaterfowl

Quote:Pretty sure the turner will fit. Yes, then you could use the LG as a hatcher. Thats what I do with my old 1602n still air.

What model LG do you have?

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  7. Nu Chix To Cash

Apr 28, 2010
    Central Iowa
    I have no idea what model it is. I bought it last year when the farm store was having a sale. I think the wafer style thermostat sounds right.

8. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

I have only seen one LG that had a wafer factory. Its the digital thermostats that the LGs have that give them a bad rep.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by