Fan ON while eggs hatching

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by naveed, Nov 10, 2010.

1. naveed

naveed Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2007
    Hi

Can anyone tell me that is it ok to keep the fan ON while eggs are hatching, means that is that direct air ok for wet chicks?

Regards

Naveed

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Yes, it's fine. It's a gentle breeze, circulating warm air and helps them dry off. I can't turn off my fan without turning off the bator entirely in my Hova.

3. rebel yell

rebel yell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    just like speckledhen said, i wouldn't turn it off at all.

4. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Yup, my incubator's the same. When it's on, the fan's always on. So I guess the answer is YES.

5. naveed

Sep 17, 2007
    Thanks all [​IMG], btw i have a pip in my bator [​IMG]

6. sloallie10

sloallie10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    CA
    I have a question relating. When you have a fan in your bator do you still open the vent holes for lockdown?

7. naveed

Sep 17, 2007
    yes, i do open the vent holes,

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Best of luck, naveed!

9. shesaredroan

shesaredroan Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey Fellow hatchers,

I have a Hovabator Genesis 1588, I've never opened my vent holes during lockdown.

I do increase the humidity level during the last 3 days and have never had 'fogging up'. The fan is VERY gentle and only servers to stir the air to ensure equal temp throughout the 'bator, it does not BLOW on the hatchlings, in fact they dry slowly and throughly.
    My understanding is....... if you do NOT experience condensation inside the 'bator during your last 3 days, you do NOT need to open the vent holes. I have followed the Hovabator instructions and my first hatch was 30 out of 35 eggs.

This has been my experience, but I'm sure others have their opinions and experiences.

Best of luck : )

10. naveed

Sep 17, 2007
    Thanks Cynthia [​IMG]

@ Shesaredroan, ok it means that its better to keep the vents close(in lock down) while a fan is ON. This is first time i am using forced air, otherwise i used still air method, thanks [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by