Fan or no fan?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by thekid, Jun 20, 2011.

1. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

I was looking at incubators and I saw a hovabator without a fan and there was one with a fan. Which one would be better for quail?

2. gamebirdboy

gamebirdboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    East Tennessee
    I'd go with the fan, but the downside to that is they could shrinkwrap easier...

3. FeatheredObsessions

FeatheredObsessions Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Oregon
    I like fans so there are no hotspots

4. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Quote:+1 Kid, Like the man said, shrink wrapp'in is a factor. But even heat = GOOD!

5. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Pros And Cons To Each... Hot Spots Vs Shrinkwrap? Both Suck But Either Way You End Up With 1 Or The Other [​IMG] Best World Would Be Forced Air That Can Be Switched Off For Hatching, But No Commercially Made Bators Seem To Offer This.

6. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:JJ you should make one!!!! And sell the product to Brinsea I am 100% positive that that is probably would be a top seller!!!!!

7. gamebirdboy

gamebirdboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    East Tennessee
    You could put a good cabinet thermostat on it for when the temp swings because the fan goes off, and put a computer fan in a still air. Then unplug it at lockdown.

8. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:OR SET IT UP SIMILAR TO A GQF SPORTSMAN.... USES THE ELECTRONIC THEMOSTAT ALL THE TIME BUT HAS A SPARE WAFER THERMOSTAT BUILT IN FOR USE AS A BACKUP IF THE ELECTRONIC GOES BAD... IN THIS CASE ELECTRONIC FOR INCUBATION/ FORCED AIR, THEN SWITCH IT TO THE WAFER FOR HATCH/ STILL AIR USE

THE BIGGEST PROBLEM IS COST(PRICE DIRECT FROM GQF FOR SPECIFIC ITEMS)... ADDING A FAN= $30.00, ADDING ELECTRONIC THERMOSTAT= $80.00, ADDING THE CABINET STYLE WAFER = $42.00

WE'VE JUST JACKED THE PRICE UP $150.00 BUCKS [​IMG] THEN THERES THE SPACE ISSUE [​IMG] THINK I WILL STICK TO MY HOMEMADE CABINETS WHICH I CAN MAKE FOR 200.00 WITH ALL THE SAME ITEMS LISTED ABOVE... WHILE THE FAN IS NOT SWITCHED ( AND CANNOT BE DUE TO THE CABINET SIZE~ THEY'RE 4FT TALL... THE TOP SHELF EGGS WOULD COOK AND THE LOWER SHELF EGGS WOULD FREEZE--- FAN IS MANDATORY FOR EVEN HEATING THROUGHOUT DUE TO CABINET SIZE/ HEIGHT) I DEVISED A LOW AIR WAY TO LOCKDOWN THAT SO FAR IS WORKING LIKE A CHARM AND COSTS ME LESS THAN 4 BUCKS/BATOR... I SIMPLY WENT TO DOLLAR GENERAL STORE AND BOUGHT THE STERILITE "SHOEBOX" TYPE PLASTIC BINS WITH LIDS ~ THEY'RE A BUCK A PIECE AND 2 FIT NICELY IN THE BOTTOM OF THE CABINET... DRILLED A FEW HOLES IN THE SIDES OF THE BINS FOR SUFFICIENT AIRFLOW TO ALLOW UNLIMITED OXYGEN AND YET RESTRICT MASSIVE FLOW OF AIR ACROSS THE PIPPED EGGS BY LEAVING THE LIDS INTACT... THEY ARE THE PERFECT SIZE FOR A 30CT CHICKEN EGG FLAT CUT IN HALF, OR A 50CT QUAIL FLAT TO SIT RIGHT IN... ALLOWS ME TO MAINTAIN MY PREFERRED UPRIGHT HATCHING POSSITION AND RESTRICT SHRINK WRAPPING. THE FLATS ARE PAPER MACHE AND DISPOSEABLE WHILE THE PLASTIC SHOEBOXES ARE ... WELL... PLASTIC! SO THEY CAN BE DECONNED BY A NICE LEISURELY SOAK IN BLEACH WATER... ALL COMPONENTS ARE READILY AVAILABLE TO ANYONE THRU DOLLAR GENERAL STORE OR BIG LOTS AND OFF EBAY. AND SINCE I USE THE FLATS FOR SHIPPING EGGS I KEEP THEM ON HAND ANYWAY [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  9. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:JJ you should make one!!!! And sell the product to Brinsea I am 100% positive that that is probably would be a top seller!!!!!

A THIN PIECE OF CARDBOARD OVER THE EGGS AND UNDER THE FAN FOR LOCKDOWN AND HATCH IN THE OCTAGON MODELS WORKS WONDERS AND STOPS 95% OF SHRINK WRAPPING. OR IF HAVING TROUBLE GETTING HUMIDITY UP DURING LOCKDOWN AND HATCH REPLACE THE CARDBOARD WITH DISPOSEABLE DIAPERS OR FEMININE NAPKINS WHICH CAN BE WET DOWN

I SHOULD ALSO POINT OUT THAT BRINSEA CABINETS HAVE CLOSED HATCHING TRAYS MUCH LIKE MY DESIGN

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  10. jfulcher

jfulcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Tucson, AZ 85712
    My incubator has a seperate switch for the fan XD
    I built it that way!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by