1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Fanatic newbie breeder cage floor question!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Runalong, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Runalong

Runalong Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2010
    Redding, CA
    Hi,

I've got my chickens in a converted shed for now but it's less than ideal and I hope to build a large coop building in the spring (12 x24). I will have some breeding cages for segregating birds during breeding season. Approx 4x4x4 each. What would be the best floor for these? I've thought about a removable metal tray of some sort for easy cleaning. Or a wire floor that allows the poop to drop through onto a metal pan. Most of the year the birds will free range, but during breeding season I will have to rotate who I let out so they may spend several days at a time in their cages. Would the wire floor be OK? What size - 1/1" openings? Other ideas or suggestions? (I'm asking for suggestions for the top cage, attached above another cage or pen).

2. swimmer

swimmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2010
    Utah
    I'm guessing the wire floor wouldn't be the most comfortable on their feet. Especially if they get a toe stuck in a hole. Maybe get some cheap flooring and cut it to size.

3. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    You have lots of good questions here. Let me try to answer a couple.

Generally the best floor for a coop is concrete with lots of wood shavings - concrete can be easily hosed off when cleaning is needed & it doesn't rot & rodents cant chew their way in.

Asside from that - good ol dirt floor will work fine.

For your breeding cages - use the 1 inch chicken wire. Fully grown birds will have no difficulty walking on it & it won't hurt their feet. Plus droppings will not easily fall through smaller openings (I've proven it!).

I use plastic tubs from walmart under my perches - the kind designed to roll under your bed - they are short (about 5 inches) but cover a couple square feet. They roll right out & a couple whacks into the compose heap & all is clean.

Hope this helps.

4. Runalong

Runalong Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2010
    Redding, CA
    yep, that helps a lot- thanks much!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by