fancy cold weather breeds?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by cowlady11, Apr 13, 2011.

1. cowlady11

cowlady11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    Haydenville, MA
    Hello all. my friend is looking to buy a couple of chicks, and would really like something funky looking. At first she was going to get some polish pullets, but then found out they dont fair so well in cold weather... any breed suggestions who can weather a new england winter?? THanks!

2. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    How about Blue or Partridge Plymouth Rocks or Silver Laced or Blue Laced Red Wyandottes?

Wait I've got it. Spitzhauben!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
  3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Polish not fairing well in cold weather? I think my frizzled cockerel could disagree. . . .

[​IMG]

And these girls might, too. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

As for other "fancy" breeds - There's Araucanas, mine do very well in the cold as well as the heat. They lay blue eggs, have no tails, and have beautiful "tufts."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Course, it depends also on your terms of fancy. Some people consider Silver Laced Wyandottes as fancy, and they're cold hardy.

4. emys

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Good point - I've never heard Polish can't handle cold either...

(but Forks, WA is nothing like the New England weather ...according to uscities website Forks average annual snowfall is 11 inches per year, and average low temperature is 33 degrees F. in winter.)

5. cowlady11

cowlady11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    Haydenville, MA
    so do you think polish could handle a MA winter? I keep them in a horse stall packed with hay and sawdust and the windows covered with plastic so there's no wind...

6. emys

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    I don't think you would have a problem if they have a nice dry draft free place to hang out.

7. phasianidae

phasianidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    McGraws, Partridge Chanteclers, Ameraucanas, Wyandottes(except they do have large wattles)

8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Forks, WA indeed doesn't get cold too often, but we have been getting colder winters year after year.

The key, honestly, is having a well insulated, well built coop. [​IMG]

9. okieinalaska

okieinalaska Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2009
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Don't forget cochins are cold hardy! I think they are fancy with their feathered feet and fluffy butts.

This is one of mine...

[​IMG]

edited to add I just noticed this is my 100th post! [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by