Fancy Mystery Chicks - What Breeds???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Bleenie, May 10, 2011.

1. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I stopped by the feed store today to pick up some Sagitta chicks but they were gone when I got there [​IMG] . I ended up coming home with 2 Golden Lakenvelder Pullets and 3 adorable things from the "Assorted Bantam & Polish" brooder.

The mystery chicks were much bigger than the bantams so i think they may be some kind of "standard fancy breeds"?
    I think the Smokey/Black one might be a Crevecoeur chick but I have no idea on the other 2 Red/Black ones. They all have clean legs, a small-medium sized top hat, beards, odd combs. The black one is spazzy but the red ones are more mellow.

Guesses?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This one has a VERY small top hat...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    The two gold/blacks are Gold Laced Polish. Beautiful birds!

Not sure on the black, I'm guessing you're right.

3. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

You really think they're Polish? Maybe they're just from a different hatchery, all the WCB Polish I saw there before had very nice top hats, these guys' hats really kinda suck if they're polish [​IMG] At least they are sweet though, All the Polish I have had in the past were very flighty.

It seems like WCB Polish are more commonly bred too so that could explain why the quality is always better. [​IMG]

4. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Quote:Yep, pretty sure [​IMG]

Yes, some colors get more attention than others. And even within the same order, you can order 5 birds of the same breed - and get birds that are the poorest quality you've ever seen and those that could win show awards in the same order.

5. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Well thank you for answering.. I kind of feel like a jerk because I told the guy at the store "I Really don't think that's a Polish.", because I had the picture of the WCB chicks in my head, with their huge hats, lol. I got 2 so hopefully I will get 2 hens or a pair... FINGERS CROSSED that I don't get two roos! [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. jywel417

jywel417 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2009
    Atlanta
    gold laced polish maybe?

7. langshan_gal

langshan_gal Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2011
    Williamsburg, OH
    If they're polish, they don't have the obvious tufts that all of my polish day old chicks had. It was OBVIOUS. There were 7 of them and I lost all but 2. They all had little round balls on the tops of their heads. I agree that they're gold-laced, but they may not be polish. Just my opinion.

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  8. pedro24

pedro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2009
    arthur, ontario
    look like polishes

9. suzeqf

suzeqf Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    i'd go with polish too they look just like my chewie did at that age she didn't have pronounced poof either

10. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    The two are bearded gold laced Polish and the other one is a Crevecouer. It's pretty common for hatchery stock birds to not have a very pronounced crest as chicks but you'll see it start coming in soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by