1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Far north chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by northernchick45, Apr 12, 2017.

1. northernchick45

northernchick45 Just Hatched

Apr 12, 2017
    Northern Ontario
    I'm a newbie! Especially to forums, etc.

My dad always had chickens. He passed away 4 years ago. :( I decided to revive the coop he had built. It does my heart good to see it put back into use![​IMG]

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

We picked up our 6 hens and 1 rooster this morning!

(3) What breeds do you have?

Red sex-link

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?

I was googling what kitchen scraps are suitable for chickens and this website came up!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

Gardening, self-sufficient life style.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

My hubby and I are in our 50's and have recently built our retirement home in northern Ontario. We are above the 45th parallel and can get down to the minus 40's in the winter. It is April 12th and we still have snow on the ground. It is minus 1 Celcius with a cold west wind. Brrrr. We farm cash crops on about 150 acres (farmers don't really retire) and have about 100 acres of forested land. Our wildlife includes black bear, cougar, timber wolves, coyotes, foxes, eagles and other assorted smaller critters. Perfect predators for our poor chickens. Needless to say, they are safe in the well fortified coop and once the weather turns nicer, they will have a fenced in run.....electrified of course! Excited to join this group!

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  2. northernchick45

Apr 12, 2017
    Northern Ontario
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just picked up my chickens this morning and they are already earning their keep! One egg!! Unlike this guy:
    [​IMG]

This is my poodle Buddy who thinks it's way too cold out today! It is April 12th and it's snowing! [​IMG]

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, northernchick, and :welcome! Happy you joined our community! I sure don't envy you your selection of predators! :oops:. Bears! Cougars! Wolves! My goodness. I have my hands full with coyotes, hawks, and raccoons! Glad you have have hot wire up! Best of luck to your and your flock...and if you'd like to chat with some other Canadian poultry folks, here's, the link: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/144/canadians-check-in-here
    Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC! :)

4. northernchick45

Apr 12, 2017
    Northern Ontario
    Thank you redsox!! I just finished posting on the Canadian's thread. I love this! Fellow chicken lovers.[​IMG]

5. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under northernchick45 [​IMG] Welcome!

Congrats on your new flock. I love the picture of Buddy! I have a cat who does not do cold and we live in Australia! Lol You can see where he tunneled under the covers.

[​IMG]

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Northern Chick had to really search for you dog, he is well concealed. Think he dislikes the cold much more than chickens do. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    BTW there is also a thread called "J'est another day in Pair of Dice." written by Tara who lives in Alberta. She has ducks, geese, hair sheep, llama, Australian cattle dogs, etc

Forget to mention her Chanticleer chickens.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by