"Farm Animals" in Vernon Township NJ

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by chickengirl1193, Feb 2, 2014.

1. chickengirl1193

chickengirl1193 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2013
    north Jersey
    Hey guys!
    So i just got my chickens in October, my neighbor that lives behind us has a flock of 18 plus chickens including loud roosters, and there are other rooster containing flocks in the area that have crowing competitions with my neighbors rooster. So I assumed that my four hens would be no problem compared to the neighbors flocks. So i went ahead and built a 40'x40' fenced in paddock type area where i put my 4 hens and my two nigerian dwarf goats.
    So yesterday we received a notice saying that we are not allowed to keep "farm animals" on our property and that we are not allowed to have any structures closer to the road than our house.
    I understand if we have to move our coop and everything to the back yard, thats fine its our mistake for not looking into the zoning law, but i do not want to get rid of my animals. Im really upset because why would all of my neighbors be allowed to keep noisy roosters and i cant keep my 4 quiet hens...
    Tomorrow we are going to the town to see what we have to do. Im hoping that all they will want is for us to move them away from the road and i will just say my goats are my pets and they cant tell me to get rid of my chickens without telling all of my many neighbors to get rid of theirs also. And worse comes to worse my goats can move to my aunt and uncles house in the next town over because they have lots of land and would be more than happy to let my goats live in one of their many pastures as long as i take care of them. But I'm not letting my chickens leave.
    Ill let you guys know how it goes tomorrow with the town.

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    With the animals on roadside of house you let any passerby "dogooder" or public official aware you had them. Your neighbors likely keep theirs in back and don't mind others having them.

When you call about the animal ordinance and land use codes/zones make sure when they say "farm animals" they have the written definition. Usually the defining line of animals is written "livestock" to which by definition your goats would be in violation but not your chickens. Basically I'm saying get them to have available the written ordinance and definitions of terms at beginning of ordinance. Many officials know the ordinance yet self interpret wrongly the definition of words used.

Here is your land use zoning map, it takes forever and a day to load:

http://www.vernontwp.com/pdf/zoning_map.pdf

Good Luck.

3. chickengirl1193

Oct 12, 2013
    north Jersey
    Thank you. I live on a coul du sac of a street with only seven houses so only neighbors, mail men, plow trucks, and garbage men pass it. And they have all been driving by for all these months now but just recently it has come up. Im hoping I can just move them away from the road. Do you know if goats can be kept as pets if they arent being used to make money? Thank you

4. chickengirl1193

Oct 12, 2013
    north Jersey
    So basically the only way im allowed to keep my animals is if I apply for a variance. And apparently we are the first family in vernon to apply for a farm animal variance in the town because everyone else is either farm assesed or the animals are hidden from the road. So going to start the process today. Wish me luck :/ my neighbors are all on my side and will come to the hearing to support me. So thats good! Im not sure how its going to go though.

5. jellybean25

jellybean25 New Egg

Mar 26, 2016
    Hey Chickengirl,
    Just wondering how you made out? I know it's been a few years since your post. We are considering getting chickens. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by