1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Farm fresh eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Puma, Sep 13, 2009.

1. Puma

Puma Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2009
    Riverside
    Why are they so hard to peel after boiling? Any suggestions to make it easier?

2. Chick_a_dee

Chick_a_dee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    We leave ours in the fridge for a couple days. I've also pricked a hole in the shell before boiling.

3. starforever61

starforever61 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2009
    After you boil the eggs, you're supposed to get a little bowl and put the egg in it and then fill it with cold water. Swish it around a little, as the cold water seperates the membrane from the part that you eat. [​IMG] my mommy taught me that. after that, they're extremely easy to peal [​IMG]

4. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

I learned this trick on BYC ...
    Bring the water to a boil first, then put the eggs in.
    After boiled, cool them in ice water. Makes peeling them easy!

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:Yup, did this. Works perfectly. I boil mine for about 16 minutes. Ice water is the key. It makes the egg shrink from the membrane.

6. McGoo

McGoo Chillin' With My Peeps

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=24428

check out this link to another thread on the subject. There are many ways people have successfully peeled farm fress eggs. The one that works best for me is to put the eggs in a pan with cold water, bring to a boil, turn off, cover for 12 minutes, drain and place in ice and water for 10 minutes. The eggs will peel easily!

good luck

7. Equus5O

Equus5O Chillin' With My Peeps

I searched this topic on BYC today. I hadn't hardboiled my eggs, yet.

I can't remember off hand who the idea was from, but ...

Bring the water to a boil. Gently place the eggs into the pot. Simmer for 15 minutes. Drain the pot, and keep the water running cold until the eggs are cool.

I did that, then placed the eggs in the fridge until I was ready to peel them (several hours later). I had no problem peeling the eggs.

8. Heritage Farmstead

Heritage Farmstead Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2009
    Western NY
    Thank you so much for posting this! I boiled my eggs last week for the first time, and it was brutal! I boiled over a dozen and after ripping so many apart gave up on the last few [​IMG]
    Now I know just what to do!
    [​IMG]

9. Amethyste

Amethyste For Love of Boo...

I use a veggie/rice steamer. Set in eggs, set timer for 17-18 mins and walk away.

Ding!

Turn off/unplug steamer, dump eggs in ice water and swirl around.

Easy easy peeling eggs and cooking them too!

EDIT: and i used fresh eggs too with no issues, as well as older ones and they all peel great as long as they go right to the shocky cold water!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  10. Big Red's Mom

Big Red's Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Terry, Mississippi
    Oh I am so glad to hear this. Someone told me to use a bunch of salt......I just hate using a bunch of salt......I can't wait to try it this way..........Just in time for the holiday cooking......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by