Farm Guard dogs?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by SilkieFaye, Oct 7, 2011.

1. SilkieFaye

SilkieFaye Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2011
    So do any of you have dogs like Great Pyrenees, anatolian shepherd or Ackbash to guard your flock or other livestock? I have a GP who keeps the Coyotes away fairly well, but if the problems were to persist I think she'd need help! What dogs do you suggest for a job like this?

2. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    we use bull breed.

3. SilkieFaye

Oct 7, 2011
    Quote:Do they not bother the chickens? I was thinking of trying a German shepherd pup.

4. SunnyCalifornia

SunnyCalifornia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
    Escondido CA
    Quote:I have a bull breed too, that stays out with the chickens. She's been really good with the birds, and even breaks up fights between roosters.

5. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Quote:Do they not bother the chickens? I was thinking of trying a German shepherd pup.

a german shepherd isn't a good dog for leaving outside to guard the farm. They are a breed that requires a LOT of human interaction. They are bred to work 1-on-1 with a shepherd, not outside alone guarding livestock like a GP or an Antalotion. Yeah, I know I spelled that wrong.

Any dog breed can be good or bad with chickens. A GSD pup is going to take a TON of training to not chase/herd the chickens. Singe has had constant training to not chase the chickens over the last 8 months and he still isn't 100% reliable. I definitely wouldn't leave him around them unattended.

6. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand

none of our dogs are... they live with chickens, ducks, pigeons, sheep, pigs, geese, goats and turkeys. They stay outside with the other animals when there's predators about and we also use them as foster mum when we handraise any mamals...

but yeah, training is #1 key.

7. Yessur Ebob

Yessur Ebob Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    I have a GP/ anatolian cross that is very good with our birds, and even chased a bald eagle off one of our silkies.

8. watchdogps

watchdogps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Central Ohio
    If you want another livestock guardian, stay with the lgd breeds. If you are looking for property guarding, you could consider other breeds. But if coyotes are your concern, get another pyr or lgd

9. SilkieFaye

Oct 7, 2011
    Well i plan to breed my GP with a Ackbash/anatolian/gp mix because I think I would get a good working farm dog from this. My female is only gonna be a year in november though, and I need to wait till her second heat cycle.

10. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    you'll need to wait until she is 2 years old to get the basic health-testing done. Hips/elbows

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by