Farm Innovator still air

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by KelsiNS, Feb 17, 2015.

1. KelsiNS

KelsiNS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2013
    Buna, TX
    What on earth is WRONG with this bloody thing?

I had a Hova-Bator all year last year. I learned the "triple thermometer" method to ensure that wacky thing stayed stable. Well, this year I ordered a farm innovator still air.

Three thermometers.

THis thing, in a room with no draft and no traffic, went from 93 to 118 in under an hour. Full of duck eggs.

I yanked the lid off that thing so fast I clocked my husband with it. The eggs were at day 3, and I fanned them like a crazy lady. So far, so good-doesn't look like we lost too much, but now we wait to see how many screwed up ducklings I get as a result.

Is this a common issuewith this brand? I mean...why on EARTH does it even need the option to GO that high? And without being touched-a 25 degree change?

I swear, next year I'm buying a cabinet style incubator.

2. KevinLynch

KevinLynch Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2015
    OH MY!!!!! any updates?

3. KelsiNS

Jun 24, 2013
    Buna, TX
    Still turning them with my fingers crossed. I'll be candling on Sunday to see what I ended up with. The incubator is still fluctuating like crazy, I have an alarm set to check it every few hours all night.

4. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    That indicates a faulty thermostat but don't rull out a faulty fan or rack motor. One of my bators with usually consistant electronic thermostat had a high spike last month but the indicator light showed that the heater wasn't energized. What had happened was a vent plug fell out of the lid when I opened it and lodged between 2 racks jamming them and causing the turner motor to overheat.

5. blucoondawg

blucoondawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    Also, you probably know better, but if you have it in a room with windows and sunshine, the sun can wreak havoc with an incubator if it beats on it, in late winter on a sunny day I can definitely feel the sun beating through my windows, I like to incubate in the basement where the temp stays constant.

6. KelsiNS

Jun 24, 2013
    Buna, TX
    I don't have a turner or a fan, and it's in a closet in the room, so no sunlight either.
    My hova bator does the same thing, to a lesser extent. It's never gone above 105.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by