Farm Innovator still air

KelsiNS

Songster
6 Years
Jun 24, 2013
Buna, TX
What on earth is WRONG with this bloody thing?

I had a Hova-Bator all year last year. I learned the "triple thermometer" method to ensure that wacky thing stayed stable. Well, this year I ordered a farm innovator still air.

Three thermometers.

THis thing, in a room with no draft and no traffic, went from 93 to 118 in under an hour. Full of duck eggs.

I yanked the lid off that thing so fast I clocked my husband with it. The eggs were at day 3, and I fanned them like a crazy lady. So far, so good-doesn't look like we lost too much, but now we wait to see how many screwed up ducklings I get as a result.

Is this a common issuewith this brand? I mean...why on EARTH does it even need the option to GO that high? And without being touched-a 25 degree change?

I swear, next year I'm buying a cabinet style incubator.

Still turning them with my fingers crossed. I'll be candling on Sunday to see what I ended up with. The incubator is still fluctuating like crazy, I have an alarm set to check it every few hours all night.

That indicates a faulty thermostat but don't rull out a faulty fan or rack motor. One of my bators with usually consistant electronic thermostat had a high spike last month but the indicator light showed that the heater wasn't energized. What had happened was a vent plug fell out of the lid when I opened it and lodged between 2 racks jamming them and causing the turner motor to overheat.

Also, you probably know better, but if you have it in a room with windows and sunshine, the sun can wreak havoc with an incubator if it beats on it, in late winter on a sunny day I can definitely feel the sun beating through my windows, I like to incubate in the basement where the temp stays constant.

I don't have a turner or a fan, and it's in a closet in the room, so no sunlight either.
My hova bator does the same thing, to a lesser extent. It's never gone above 105.

Back
Top Bottom