Farm Kids

kstaven

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
Jan 26, 2007
BC, Washington Border
For those of us who can't remember what age we started "working" because we grew up working every day on the farm.

Who knows the value of a dollar because it's something earned, not given.

Who never received an allowance for "good behavior" because good behavior was expected at all times.

Who never had a curfew because as long as we were up in time for morning chores, and didn't complain about being tired, it didn't matter what time we came in, because our parents trust us.

Who know we're better people because of the hard work and long hours we've put in.

Who never understood the complaint that "there's nothing to do around here" because we always found something to do.

Who put in more hours before the sun comes up than most people our age put in all day, and then keep on working long after the sun sets.

Who understand the value of earning things by your own merit.

Who couldn't imagine raising a family anywhere but on a farm.

Who know there are easier occupations but none as rewarding.

Who just plain wouldn't trade growing up on the farm for anything else in the world.

I feel that same way. I didn't grow up on a farm but my Grandma had one and it was the best place in the world to go. Also you never complained about being bored or having nothing to do because someone would deffentily find you something to do. lol.

ive been around the farm ever since i was born.started feeding the bottle calves when i was 7.been doing farmwork now for 36yrs.an dont plan on quiting till im put in the ground.

My three grown-up kids are living breathing examples of that. While their friends were off playing ball or swimming all summer they were working in the field. I know there were times they would have traded places with their town friends in a heart beat, but now that they're all grown up they're all trying to find ways to come back to the farm and raise their own families here.

Same here, my sister and I would take adventures thru the corn field to see where we would come out. My mom just found out about this a couple years ago but we figured we would either end up on the road, my aunts or my uncles. My son has been driving since he was 13
duc.gif
, hes 17 now. He doesnt own video games, he'd rather be in the tractor. The only down side is my dad, my son and me all have bad backs.

Its just growing up with more responsibility and respect for machines and animals that can hurt you. Im glad to be back.

Last edited:
I read an article recently about farm kids and how they often do so much better in science and math classes than a lot of their peers because of all the first hand experience they get...hands on is so much more stimulating for their minds instead of watching the tube. Farm kids KNOW where a baby animal comes from, they learn about measurements whether helping dad build a coop(or whatever) or helping mom in the kitchen. Horticulture lessons come from the garden. I could go on and on. I am very thankful that my kids are able to experience farm life. I know that they don't watch half as much TV as the national average.

sorry long post but this really hits home.

I did not grow up on a farm, we lived on a lake away from town. The fields and woods on the other side of the road was owned by a farmer friend. whenever he needed us to help hay, bring in potatoes, or cut corn for silage we always wanted to help (maybe because my dad grew up on a farm). his son was my age and some of my first nights away were as a kid on their farm. I loved it, learned how to drive tractors, respect animals and machinery and not be afraid to try anything at least once.
and yes, i was happy to not do it everyday, it would have been different to do it beause i had too and not because it was a choice.

My father-in-law grew up on a farm and knew the chores the kids did in the morning. he became a biology teacher (surprise) and when some of these farm kids would fall asleep in his class he would let them take the nap. he knew it was calving time, or harvest time.... and cut them some slack but still required them to pass the class. He would defend doing this when someone complained.

These same kids have went on to become successful doctors, engineers and nurses. was it because of the hard work? yes. was it dedication and knowing the job had to be done no matter what? yes. maybe it was also because when faced with a problem you had to figure out how to fix it now by yourself because you did not have the time or money to hire someone to do it for you.

those of us who were not the 'elite' townie brainiacs have in general been more successful then the others.

Last edited:
I just wanted to let folks know that all hope is not lost for the suburban kids out there (yeah, I know this thread is about farm kids, but it is pretty much given that they work their butts off on a daily basis).

I had an interesting experience today.

My DH and I went on a "high ropes challenge" course. Basically an obstacle course 35-75 feet in the air. Some of this stuff was really tough.

There was one kid, standard too many video games, not enough sunshine, slightly overweight. At the hardest climb, a bunch of us were talking about how far we thought he would get because he OBVIOUSLY couldn't get to the top.

Well, I'll be darn but that kid WOULD NOT QUIT. He couldn't do it, his body was not capable of it. He didn't have the height or the muscle and he had too much weight to haul up.

But he did it. By PURE force of will. That kid made it to the top. He should have quit. He was bruised, skinned, and miserable, but he just kept trying!

We were so impressed, we all went and shook his hand afterwards. Truly impressive. This kid single handedly renewed my faith in the up and coming generation.

Back
Top Bottom