Farm raised 1-2 yr. old pekin duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by marilyn1, Mar 14, 2013.

1. marilyn1

marilyn1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2013
    florida
    I have an old drake been alone a few years. Thinking about getting him a friend. I would like an adult pekin. The only adults I have found so far are 1-2 yr. old farm raised in pen and let out for exercise and to go to creek. Not really tame. The man said they don't run away but dont't really come up to you. He cares for them but doesn't really interact with them Will these calm down( learn to come up to you) or be noisy do to the change. Haven't seen them yet about an hour away from me.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Well most likely they will eventually settle in especially if your drake is friendly. But it will take time and I wouldn't go get her and let her have run of the place right off, and give him and her a chance to get to know each other through some kind of fencing for a least a week, or he is liable to scare the dickens out of her and she run off. I think with TLC and good treats and food she'll come around, I have adopted Muscovy drakes from the river and had them eating out of my hand with in a few months.

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    It's going to be up to them, I think. In any case, it will take some time. From what I have seen with my runners, they do adjust and are less noisy when they have what they need - fresh water, a little something to do, good food, decent surroundings, and company.

Here's a thread about my introducktions of a new group to my flock. The new group have not had nearly as much human interaction. It's worked out pretty well. We are having some springtime hormonal adjustments right now, and that includes having them side by side but not together due to the drake's obsession with one duck, and the runners' insistence that she not be obsessed upon. [​IMG]

But it's pretty peaceful, and was so from fall through winter. Eventually, we will work it out.

4. marilyn1

Jan 4, 2013
    florida
    other option? How long would it take a baby to mature enough to go out with him?. Would it matter if it turned out to be male or female?
    He is very friendly but a bit frisky right now.

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    MIght take two or three months for a duckling to get about adult sized.

6. DenverDucky

DenverDucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    Colorado
    Pekins grow so fast! I agree with Amiga, a few months. My Pekin was huge and feathered so quickly!

7. marilyn1

Jan 4, 2013
    florida
    Thanks one final question? My drake is older. He will go before the young female. Think I want to get the mature 1-2 yr old duck When he passes. ( he is fine and healthy) will the female duck accept a baby duckling or will she fight with it?

8. marilyn1

Jan 4, 2013
    florida
    Well found a 9 month old pekin and went and picked it up today It was in a tro with 2 drakes. She is beautiful No tail feather curl like the 2 boys had I believe her to be female.She talks not raspy like my drake he is a khaki campbell but not really a quaky loud sound. So far so good. She also had goats and dogs so she is not scared of anything here. So far so good. They said she has never laid an egg yet. Hope she is a girl looking forward to the eggs. If not as long as her and my old duck get along it will be ok. She is very pretty. If you look at her eyes when you hold her they look blue. From a distance they look black.

9. DenverDucky

DenverDucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    Colorado
    She sounds beautiful! Would love to see a pic if possible :)

10. marilyn1

Jan 4, 2013
    florida
    I'll get some tomorrow my batteries are dead.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by