Farm/Ranch Horse Chores

sweetshoplady

Songster
11 Years
Feb 4, 2008
Venice, Florida
I am looking for something that I can do using my quarterhorse on my farm. He used to be a ranch horse. I want to ride him more and figured if I could find some sort of "chores" for us to do it would be fun for both of us.

Can he help me to move fence posts across the property (not pull them out) just move them to where I want to plant my grapes? If so, where do I tie them? To the saddle horn?

I have not technically driven him, I have walked behind him with long reins.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
smile.png

If you're going to make him drag something, it should be pulled straight behind him, not off to the side (like tying it to the saddle horn would be). Also make sure that he's not spooky about something like a post "following" him. This really flips some horses out.

Would I need to invest in a harness for him to do this then?

He loves to go out and do stuff. Have never tried having him pull anything.

Any ideas on what we could do, on how he could "help" around the farm would be appreciated.

Thanks for the tip on making sure it wouldn't spook him.

If he was used as a "true" ranch horse you can try pulling a post. BUT never, EVER tie it to your horse. You tie it to the post and hold the other end.
wink.png
Goodluck

Seconding 'be careful' trying to drag something from him. If you try it, wear thick leather work gloves, use a shortish rope so that you are holding almost the very end of it, and be prepared to let go promptly if needed. Know Thy Horse. I would not assume that just because he was a ranch horse he's ever had anything bumpy and spooky dragged behind him...

If you want to move stuff around with him, really you ought to get a simple strong harness and teach him to pull using *that*, exactly as if you were teaching him to drive. If you have not taught a horse to drive before, it would be a real good idea to get help and supervision, as it is quite possible for things to go very very very wrong very very very fast, even without the horse hitched to a vehicle.

Most useful chore I know that uses horses is checking and repairing your fenceline. Bring hammer, fence tool, whatever hardware you would use for your fence type, and flagging tape for thigns that can't be fixed right away.

Have fun,

Pat

Back
Top Bottom