Farm reports - for you're enjoyment

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by jasonm11, May 11, 2011.

1. jasonm11

jasonm11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    tioga tx
    April 30th
    Woke up next to my beautiful wife this morning listening to the roosters crow, what a way to start the day. We got up and went out to visit our fowl, everyone was eagerly awaiting us to feed them breakfast. We let Huey, Louie and Spot out of the cages and put fresh water in the pool. I watered and fed the fowl while Nikki went and worked in the garden. She harvested a bunch of radishes and collard greens today. I got in trouble for harvesting one of the green onions, evidently it is too soon to harvest them, oh well live and learn. I went in to check on Hanna and Tommie and found we have our first chick. One of the eggs hatched under Hanna and she now has a tag along, cute little bugger follows her everywhere. I had to grab the roll of chicken wire and baby proof the pen as the first thing the new chick did was to run thru the chainlink and worry poor Hanna to death as she could not get to her chick. The nursery is now safe and secure and the little chicks will no longer be able to get out. The little meat birds are getting big and feathering out nice, lost another yesterday but hopefully the rest will make it. We got some video of Huey swimming underwater today. I have never seen a duck do it before, but it is pretty cute. we found that if you put fresh greens in the pool they go nuts for them, hastily eating them all down. Well its time to get back to work, I have to try to fix my buddies lawn mower today.

May 3rd
    I'm a grandpa! Hanna hatched her babies 12 in total, 8 that made it thru the day. She seems to be a very good mommy, she had the crew out today to show them off. She is very protective of them but has let me in the nursery to make some last minute changes and to bring in food. I will post a few pictures of her brood. We have one little tyke in the house from tommie's nest. When Tommie abandoned her nest it was the only one hatched out. I thought it was dead when I brought it in, it's not. It is a noisy little bugger but awful cute. we have another hen sitting on about six eggs, we should know in a few days if they will hatch out. Goodnight all God bless band keep you.
    [​IMG]

May 4th
    Happy day on the farm, all poults (baby turkeys) and chicks made it thru the day. The ducks are huge, they have tripled in size in 2 weeks. At this rate they will be the size of an ostrich before you know it. Hmmm, I wonder if Nikki would let me get one?

[​IMG]

May 7th
    Well another day I wont get back has come and gone. Spend a good portion of it repairing my neighbors riding lawn mower. Whoever designed the darn thing should be tarred and feathered, I had to take the cutting deck, and main body section off to get access to the belts. Oh well it is all put together and running well. Only thing left to do now is to get my neighbor to cut my lawn to test it out. Danny came out today and we replaced his brake booster, a little more practice and we'll make a mechanic out of him.

More turkeys hatched out, we now have 4 in the house with 2 eggs to go and 7 babies outside with momma. She also has a couple chicks in with her she is raising. Not sure why but the little chicks like to clmb up on Hanna's back and sit, she doesn't seem to mind. The ducks are getting huge and Spot the chick thnks he is a duck, and the three amigos as we call them run around checking out everything together.

Nikki worked in the garden today and tells me we have tomatos and peppers blooming and starting to develop and the carrots and radishes are growing nicely. We have raspberries on the bush and I need to build a trellis for the beans. The string squash We planted a few weeks ago is really growing quick. Can't wait to start harvesting stuff.

Mom's we love you both and hope you have an extra special mothers day[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Hanna's little hitchhiking chicken
    [​IMG]
    Schnitzel and Lucky making friends

Thats all for now, I will post as I can. I hope you enjoy it.

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  2. lcw1995

lcw1995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Marysville Ohio
    thanks man for the updates. like it. very well planned out. hope to see more of it.

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I love reading your posts. Keep it up! Oh, and the pictures are WONDERFUL, too!
    [​IMG]

4. jasonm11

jasonm11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    tioga tx
    Quote:Thank you for the kind words. I found out I can put this on my page so I probably sill post there instead. It's easier to import my pictures and video

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by