Farm Stands

chkva

Songster
Mar 20, 2015
I'm not sure why I never thought of this until yesterday when we stopped at a farm stand...

Right now my vegetables/fruits are growing and that's doesn't help on these hot days we are getting. Yesterday my chickens were so hot, it was about 95... I stopped at a farm stand to get melons (they had none), but they had lots of fresh lettuce and kale. Lettuce and leafy greens have water in it that keeps chickens hydrated, mine love it when it's nice and cold fresh from the fridge on hot days. I told the women running the farm stand what I planned on doing with the kale and lettuce, it was about 545 pm and the stand closes at 6 pm. She handed me over 10 lbs of leafy greens for FREE! She said to stop by any time before closing and she would clean out her stock into a bin or what not for me...

Not sure if anyone else has farm stands near them, but it pays off to go to them. I've been to this one a few times throughout the years and I'm shocked I never mentioned my animals. She is an animal person too... Actually she lost her bantam chicken to a hawk, right in front of her about 20 feet away :eek: after she told me that I bought stuff to keep Hawks out at my local store :lau

I did end up getting melons, but at Walmart...

When I got home I took handfuls of lettuce put them in a bag and placed paper towels over that bunch then put more lettuce... If you layer it like this in your fridge with the bag open, it keeps the lettuce very fresh, almost up to two weeks! You can also cut it up and layer with paper towels in a Tupperware or cut it up and put it in mason jars (this makes it last even longer).

Nice score...and thanks for the tip about lettuce!

I got free (slightly damaged) tomatoes for the fowl one year from a farmer's market vendor who knew I had chickens and a neighbor with surplus veggies was happy to let me glean for the animals, too. Win-win! :highfive:

Nice score...and thanks for the tip about lettuce!

I got free (slightly damaged) tomatoes for the fowl one year from a farmer's market vendor who knew I had chickens and a neighbor with surplus veggies was happy to let me glean for the animals, too. Win-win! :highfive:
It's definitely a win win... The other chickens ate the melon, but my picky OE will only eat kale and lettuce. I didn't know how mental they'd go over cantaloupe seeds! Geez if I knew that sooner, I would've saved the innards of all my cantaloupe and froze it in small portions for hot days! I got a massive watermelon probably about 9 lbs I'm going to cut it up in small chunks, divide it up into bags, and freeze. I like putting it in my water as ice cubes and the chickens or throwing it out for them during the day.

Back
Top Bottom