Farmer Kitty-did you see these tv shows about dairy cows?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by country lady, Jan 11, 2009.

1. country lady

country lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    NW Tennessee
    Did you see the show where the milk cows have huge water-beds to lounge on? Seems it was in Wisconsin. My husband watches the science channel a lot and I wander in so I don't know which show.

Another show was in Europe, maybe Scandinavia, where the cows go into the parlor when they are full, a machine washes and attaches and the cows are milked with the milk being automatically tested before it is mixed into the herd milk. It is the darnest thing I ever saw. All the cows seemed very contented. We watch RFD-TV too and see a couple of good shows like California Country and a Texas show.

2. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    Quote:They are called Automatic Robotic Milkers here in the UK..my Dh has looked at them...but the price is too high....plus I was against them because you can't beat the human touch when it comes to your dairy herd...and Dh has his "girls" so well trained...they know they are NOT allowed to poop in the parlour! and when one of them is "off colour"......robots are OK in a car factory situation (say)...but not when you are dealing with animals.....my opinion only.

3. Biddieacres

Biddieacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    I caught a minute of that show. He made his cows as comfortable as possible and gets tons of milk. They lay on waterbeds and he has all the highest tech equipment. Just can't remember what the name of the show was.

4. buck-wild-chick

buck-wild-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Hamilton C. FL
    Maybe he keeps the cows like that until they die happily of old age. Doubt it [​IMG] But at least they have a good life with him,I wish everyone did that with commercial animals.

5. country lady

country lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    NW Tennessee
    EC, I agree the personal touch with animals is best. We saw an interview with a real estate agent, former farmer, whose family cows were slaughtered during the mad cow era. He said they were devastated because their cows went back generations. It gets very personal with animals.

We don't have a dog anymore but our last dog was very protective. When my niece's children came over, our dog would sit on DH's shoe. I guess that was her way of marking her territory.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by