Farmer's almanac and setting eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by OldChurchEggery1, Oct 28, 2011.

1. OldChurchEggery1

OldChurchEggery1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Virginia
    Every year I get a farmer's almanac from the Farm Bureau booth at the state fair. Last year I used the table in the back that had "best dates to..." do all sorts of things based on the zodiac. There were entries for planting seeds, cutting fence posts, and hatching eggs. Now, coincidence or not, when I set eggs on the dates listed as the "best" days to set eggs, I really did have excellent hatch rates, even with shipped eggs! I've started going through the 2012 dates and thinking about when I'll set eggs for spring hatches. Has anyone else tried this? I'm thinking of trying in the spring to set a batch of eggs collected on the "best" day in one incubator and then another batch the next day to see if there's a significant difference in hatch date. I noticed quicker germination with seeds when I followed the dates, so now I want to try a scientific approach.

Let me know if you've tried this, are interested in hatching along, or if you think it's just crazy!

2. curious1969

curious1969 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Northwest Montana
    I have never tried this, but I think it would be very interesting to see the outcome. I will have to see if I can find one and may follow along with you...just for educational purposes (and more chicks) [​IMG] seriously, I think it would be very interesting to test this!

3. OldChurchEggery1

OldChurchEggery1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Virginia
    Great! According to my almanac, these are the best days to set eggs in spring 2012:
    January 8,9,17,18,25,26
    February 4,5,6,13,14,22,23
    March 3,4,11,12,20,21,30,31
    April8,9,16,17,18,26,27,28

Depending on the temperatures here, I'll aim to set eggs on 8th January. I'll have to keep my fingers crossed for a few days of mild weather so the eggs don't get too cold out in the coop while I'm at work. Hmm... I suppose I could ask my husband to be on "cackle alert" but I doubt he'd do it if he knew I'd be setting them :) Just kidding. He's a chick enabler.

4. texaschickmom

texaschickmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2009
    Lindale, TX
    Great idea! And thanks for posting the dates. I'm going to try the same thing. You are definitely an enabler!![​IMG]

5. Mike32

Mike32 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2009
    Pecos, NM
  6. silky ma

silky ma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    I love the farmers almanac! I remember seeing it in my dads hands when I was a wee one. Always has good advice though the weather forcasts are only in the 80% tile.

7. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Quote:Definitely worth trying!!

8. begbfg

begbfg Barnyard Beckie

Feb 11, 2011
    Roxboro, NC
    I'd love to try this! Thank you for the info!

9. Wyogirl

Wyogirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Cody, WY
    I wil definitely try as my shipped egg hatch rate is pathetic.
    Off to buy a farmers almanac.[​IMG]
    Ayda

10. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Don't have to do that, they give you the dates online for two months, here is the link. Nov 10,11,12 are the best days for this month. I tried it this past hatch, but I screwed up and opened the incubator to much due to a chick that was not doing well, Won't be doing that again. got 2 out of 6 in lockdown, the other 4 were full chicks at lock down. A 3rd one died during the night due to shrinkwrap. Anyways I will be trying again. Here is the link, you have to scroll all the way to the bottom.
    http://www.almanac.com/bestdays/timetable

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by