1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Farmers' Helper Original ForageCake

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Reurra, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Reurra

Reurra Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2012
    Nova Scotia
    Where cna you get these in Canada. it seems no one carries them that i can find, and none down in the states ships to Canada.

2. mixitup

mixitup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Have you tried TSC stores? It seems in the states they carry them, maybe Ca stores will order them in. Otherwise, I would ask at a farm supply store if they have something similar. Just in case, I would bring as much info as I could with me if I were going to ask about something similar.

It may be due to import regulations that they cannot be brought over easily.

It also looks like you can make your own. If you search for Suet cakes for chickens, you should find something.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  3. Reurra

Reurra Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2012
    Nova Scotia
    We dont ahve a Tractor Supply here sadly. We have something called Shur-Gain. They dont carry it either. I was hoping to try one out for my ladies when they arrive as a kind of "welcome" present lol

4. mixitup

mixitup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    We have Shur grain, but it's basically called Minor's here. Ask at Shur grain about suet cakes, or treat cakes. If they don't have them, they probably won't, Canada is a bit slow on some things, make your own. Seems pretty easy, a base of animal fat, some scratch and some lay mash. Most people seem to use either beef fat or bacon grease. I'm going to assume you press it into a form for the birds and let it sit, or give it to them mixed up.

Some back in 2009 had this recipe:

Wheat Berries, Whole Flax Seed, Course Cracked Corn, Field Peas, Alfalfa Pellets, Black Oil Sunflower Seeds, Fish Meal, Oat Groats, Granite Grit, Vitamin & Mineral Supplement, Honey & Diatomaceous Earth

I imagine it was mixed together with bacon grease or animal fat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by