Farmers Market and Brunty

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by anthonyjames, Mar 17, 2011.

1. anthonyjames

anthonyjames Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Port Washington, WI
    Jeff,

I know you did some skinless chicken breasts and other items at a market earlier this year.

I am trying to find the pricing you used or that polyface uses. I can't find it on the polyface site anymore.

Can you tell me what you charged for:

Boneless skinless breast 2 to a pack
    tenderloins guessing 6 to a pack
    leg/thigh combos 2 of each to a pack assuming

Thanks

2. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    Hey, sorry... I have been slammed here with prepping for spring. Just got our first meat chicks in last Friday.

Heres the list.

Breast $12.00 / pound (2 pack) *shoot for a five pound plus bird so one bird will have one pound of breast*
    tenders $12.00 / pound (6 pack) polyface is higher but I figured that this is fair for me.
    quarters $4.50 / pound (2 pack)
    wings $4.00 / pound (6 pack)

Google * polyfaceyum* and it will show you the price list. He has two different sites that show prices and products and then one that is just overall farm.

I had no problem getting these prices but have worked really hard in my area to establish a good relationship with my customers. They know what it takes to raise a chicken. Plus I give them the option to purchase a whole chicken at $3.00 / pound. Which is around $12.00 / chicken... the have the option to buy the whole chicken at a fair price but a lot choose the boneless skinless over the whole chicken anyway.

1 chicken gives you one pound of boneless skinless breast which is $12.00.............. one whole chicken is $12.00-$14.00............... It's not hard to see that the whole chicken is definitely the better deal. I told myself if we are going to offer cut chickens this is the price we need to get to make it worth our time. If people didn't want to pay that much... we were just going to stick to whole and cut up chickens... and go away with the select cuts.

Good luck.

3. anthonyjames

anthonyjames Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Port Washington, WI
    Jeff,

Thanks that is exactly what I was looking for.

One last thing. When you bag them are you vac packing them or just standard bag you would use for a whole chicken?

Hope the season is off to a good start for you. Had first birds arrive Wednesday last week. And 38 rabbits born over the weekend.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2011
  4. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    Quote:I don't vac pac them but if I had a good machine I would. I use smaller bags that look really good for putting in the select cuts. I use the same bag to pack 2 breast per pack, 6 tenders, two legs, and 6 wings. They fill up the entire bag, bigger bags look bad and are hard to sell so try to go with something smaller.

I'm having a horrible start. I lost 100 DOA because they were a day late and after that, at about 12 days I lost 150 to a draft at night. The wind had ripped the plastic just enough to create a small draft on a 30 degree night. They piled... so out of 600 I have 350 left for the first market in May. Devastating to see 150 birds dead due to a malfunction in equipment / housing.... really sucks.

Hopefully that's not a preview of the year and just a fluke. I'm envious of your rabbits!! I wold love to have 38 rabbits in nest.... one thing I haven't spent much time on is rabbits. I have processed thousands of them but haven't raised many of them. It's hard to find good breeding stock around here.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by