farmers market/ chinese restaurant.

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by scooter147, Sep 8, 2009.

1. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    This past Saturday I went to a farmers market near downtown St Louis. It has been years since I have been there. But when I went on a regular basis there was always a guy selling live poultry.
    As I turned the corner I saw him stuff one, what looked like golden comets, after another into boxes. A lady and several man were standing there watching him do all this. So after the transaction was completed I walked up and started talking to him and I had purchased poultry from him in the past and to my surprise he remembered me.
    So I asked how many chickens did that lady buy? He said, "60"
    Wow, I said what does she do with them? He replied "she owns a Chinese restaurant in South City and she uses the meat in certain entrees"
    I said "I wonder where she does the processing? and I can't imagine that meets health code". He said "that's why I won't eat Chinese on this side of the river" He is from Illinois.
    This guy buys "spent" hens from free range operations around him for a $1/hen and sells them at the market for $3/hen.
    He said he can sell all he can get his hands on at the market and the most he has sold in one day was 150.

2. scooter147

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    I don't have a problem with the spent hen thing either.
    I just don't know that I would want to eat at a restaurant that processes live chickens in the backroom of a restaurant. Although, I don't know that is what they are doing.
    I just found it "surprising" a restaurant owner bought their meat on the "hoof" and processed it.
    Just took me off guard if you will.

3. acdoc

acdoc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    shenadoah valley
    I wander what other animals they picked up for their special entrees

Last edited: Sep 8, 2009
  4. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Did you get any hens? I know A guy who sells large amounts of silkies to a chinese resteraunt (because of there black meat) and he brings truckloads of the hundreds to them, 7 they process them too [​IMG]

5. scooter147

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    No I didn't. I have not bought any live poulty in years since I found I can be very successfull at hatching eggs I buy on different sites. This way I do not have worry about bring in diseases or pests I don't want.

I did get some very nice fresh green beans, turnips, tomatoes and JOWL BACON!!! Love my jowl bacon.

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I dont see any problems of people processing their chickens in the back of their restaurant. If no one got sick, then they must have done the right thing. If properly done, they are no different than home butchered jobs.

7. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

I would say that is probably quite illegal. There are different laws regarding the sale of meat depending on what you're doing with it. From what I've been told, even meat you get from the processor can't be sold to restaurants without certain permits/inspections/special labelling. While my processing doesn't meet health code either, it's because I don't have washable ceilings or multiple sinks in my processing area, and my well water hasn't been tested by the Department of Agriculture- other than that, I know my methods are sanitary. Personally, I wouldn't eat at a restaurant that used chickens purchased as spent hens by the restaurant itself, especially since Chinese restaurants are famous for their "loose" definitions of sanitary.

8. Le Canard de Barbarie

Le Canard de Barbarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Quote:You need to research this further before saying it is illegal. State guidelines are here.. The Federal Exemption applies in Michigan. In Michigan you can process up to 20,000 as found here. You can sell to restaurants within Michigan under Exemption P.L. 90-492.

9. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:You need to research this further before saying it is illegal. State guidelines are here.. The Federal Exemption applies in Michigan. In Michigan you can process up to 20,000 as found here. You can sell to restaurants within Michigan under Exemption P.L. 90-492.

Well, I did say "probably." However, as you said, the exemption is federal only. That document you provided was written in 2001- I don't know if the law has changed since then or what, but I assure you that if you contact the Michigan Department of Agriculture, as I did, they will tell you that you can sell NO meat in Michigan without having your facility inspected, your well tested, conform with their ridiculously impossible guidelines, and having a MDA permit. Heck, I'd LOVE for you to prove me wrong here, as it would seriously help my business, but that's what they told me.

In fact, I'd SO love for you to be right, that tomorrow I'm going to call the numbers listed in that document for Michigan Department of Agriculture, and if I can sell processed meat on a small scale without inspection or permit, I'll send you a couple of my killing cones free as a thank you for showing it to me.

10. destiny_56085

destiny_56085 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Sleepy Eye, MN
    I am close friends with many Asians. Each ethnicity (Laotian, Korean, Chinese,etc) have their own special traditions. The reason they don't buy from most sources is because they want their birds alive. As disgusting as it sounds, they need the blood for different purposes. They have special ways to process them and usually nothing is wasted. They also want the older birds because they are more flavorful. If they have special holidays they need colorfull roosters. If a woman is about to give birth, they need to get a hen with certain skin and feather colors to coordinate with what month the child is due. The woman can only eat boiled (and yes very bland) chicken for the next week.

I raise silkies and yes that is where most of the cull roosters go if they can't find pet homes. I get a ton of calls from them every year so they can get directions to all the swaps and exotic auctions. Without them, there would be no way to get rid of thousands of extra birds around here. They will come with literally thousands of dollars and snatch up every cheap bird they can.

Its just a matter of tradition and a little understanding. Some things we do aren't acceptible to them and vice versa.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by