farmers market wish list

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by chicken stalker, Jan 6, 2009.

1. chicken stalker

chicken stalker TOS Rocks!

Aug 31, 2008
    Binghamton, NY
    I've edited this topic to be more of a wish list. What would you like to see at your local farmers market?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2009
  2. allaboutdemchicks

allaboutdemchicks Chapel Farms

Sep 13, 2008
    Jemison, AL
    I love to visit my local farmers market....I meet so many wonderful people that soon become my favorites to purchase from.

Our farmers market has lot of local veg/fruit, and I always go strait to those venders first. I love love to look at the poultry but have to be honest, I've never purchased any because I worry about biosecurity, but there are doves, quail, chickens, turkeys, goats, rabbits, etc.

There is a man that lives right down the road from me that sales goat cheese....oh it is so increadible good. I buy the herb flavor.

I also purchase flowers from locals....daylilies, aloe vera plants.

My girls aren't old enought to lay yet so I've purchased fresh eggs and they were great....I bought the last one and as I was paying for it people were coming up and asking for more. They promise to get there earlier.

Hope this helps! Claudia

3. 2468Chickensrgr8

2468Chickensrgr8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    Ontario
    Our local Farmers Market is famous for homemade sugar donuts....they make them right in front of you....kids love it !! Thats how I bribe them to go with me....You can buy everything typical of a Farmers Market...one thing I enjoy looking at is a photo booth...a local photographer takes pictures of old local buildings/landscapes/gardens /people etc etc....really beautifully framed ...different sizes...colours.....I have bought a couple in the past years for people that have visited and could take a little memory home with them....
    I was hoping the next time I go that there will be a person with a booth that has homemade sturdy grocery bags....like with Roosters and chickens on them......

4. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    I can't fit ALL the veggies I want in my raised bed garden, so I go to the farmer's market in my area to fill in the blanks.
    I LOVE to buy fresh corn, both to eat & to freeze.
    Massive amounts of green beans to freeze for winter.
    Extra tomatoes when I'm making sauce.
    Local honey (yummy!).

Our farmer's market is WONDERFUL!

5. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    I don't sell. What I buy: fresh, organic, seasonal, locally grown produce, honey, homemade soap, cut flowers, and occasionally meat.

6. Chicken Salad

Chicken Salad Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2008
    Frederick, Maryland
    Hi chicken stalker ;p - how's the weather in Binghamton?? - my dh is from Owego so we get up there every now and again. His brother has a house on Chenango Street.

I usually get goat cheese from a local creamery.

Just another note: for me - as a customer - I'm not looking for niche product so much as a seller who is reliable (I hate going only to find the person I've been buying from isn't there), personable (talk to people - find out what they need and "set it aside" - for example, the guy I buy from - and will be going to work for this spring [​IMG] - set me aside some black raspberries because he asked when I bought red ones from him), and has good quality whatevertheygot. I'm easy - I only want to be treated as you would treat the Queen. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Another note: I pour at a local vineyard as a volunteer (my hours get "paid" to the local high school band) and one thing I do for folks is to tell them quick little 'secrets' like - "You can pour a cup of this red into your pot roast to really flavor it up," "put fresh fruit in the bottom of the glass with this white for a really fresh summer cocktail" - you gotta sell the sizzle - as they say.

7. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    I buy fresh butter and cheese as well as veggies. I just love the farmers market!

8. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Oops, I forgot to add cheese, especially goat cheese!

9. chicken stalker

Aug 31, 2008
    Binghamton, NY
    ohh wow such great ideas...the making grocery totes is a really good idea. I'm a whiz on the sewing machine...I could make all kinds of chicken appearal and kitchen things. I'm thinking of selling eggs (I think I will need more hens to keep up with demand [​IMG]), blown out craft eggs, may offering fertile hatching eggs and sewing projects. What do you think?

Chicken Salad
    how's the weather in Binghamton?? - my dh is from Owego so we get up there every now and again. His brother has a house on Chenango Street.

Solid ice today! All the schools have closed. What a small world, I live just on the opposite side of the Chenango River. I love going to Owego...especially for the Strawberry Festival. It has such a great small town feel and a lot of neat little mom and pop stores.

great ideas keep them coming [​IMG]

10. chicken stalker

Aug 31, 2008
    Binghamton, NY
    I've edited this topic to be more of a wish list. What would you like to see at your local farmers market?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by