Farmers Market

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by andischickenfarm, Jun 19, 2007.

1. andischickenfarm

andischickenfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2007
    N.E. Oklahoma
    Does anyone know if the Farmer's Market's let you sell pickled eggs and angel food cake? I have so many eggs and I thought that would be another way to get rid of them.

Thanks,
    Andi

2. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    You would need to check with the management for the farmers market in your area to find out what restrictions or requirements they impose.
    What about just selling the eggs at the farmers market?

chel

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Is pickled eggs a big thing where you live? How about just selling fresh eggs. If you can't sell or give away the eggs you could boil them and feed them back to your hens. Excellent protein and good calcium in the shells.

4. schmoo

schmoo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    West MI.
    Miss Prissy (or anyone who knows) when you do that do you seperate the egg and shell so the chickens don't see the egg as and egg and start eating them when you don't want them to?

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I boil them then chop them up -shells and all.

6. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    Just another thought. You could freeze them for winter or molting season when egg production slows. Also if you bake more for the holidays. Cindy

7. ChickieDee

ChickieDee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    North Central PA
    Dumb question here, how do you freeze eggs?

8. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    Crack eggs into a ice trays. One egg in each hole. Freeze. Then pop out and store in Zip lock bags. Or at least that is how I do it. Then you can get out how ever many eggs you need. Thaw them out and use in baking or scramled egg recipes.

9. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

I know at the Farmers Market here, the lady that sells cakes, pies and such has to list all the ingredients that goes into it. It's for people like me who are allergic to all kinds of food stuffs.

Haven't seen eggs being sold but have seen freshly butchered ribs, sausage, chicken, roasts and steaks.

10. V Chic Chick

V Chic Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bristol, England
    At the farmers market that I sometimes visit, the farmers are allowed to sell anything that has been produced on their farm, or made by them (I think thems the rules). This includes things like bread, biscuits, meat, fish, eggs, vegetables, fruit and so on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by