Farmer's Markets (or selling eggs on my own property)

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by E-Chick, May 10, 2009.

1. E-Chick

E-Chick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2009
    Ramona
    Trying to find info on selling eggs. I'm in California, which no doubt means that there are a bajillion laws and regs that are probably in place to screw the little guy like me.

Does ANYbody have ANY info pertinent to CALI? I've looked at a bunch of Gov websites, but am lost. Ugh...red tape is sure ugly!

I did find some info, but think that it is geared toward large producers. I posted the info and link here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=179172

2. MariposaMama

MariposaMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Mariposa, CA
    The site I found (which I believe was a link in Carrie's signature) says that in Cali it is legal to sell up to 500 dozen eggs a year from your own property without any permit or regulations. I didn't look far into how Farmer's Markets work, I think it might depend on the way the Market is set up. There is a state "registration" you can buy for $15., but unless I read it wrong, it's not mandatory to have one. I think it's just another way for the state to take your money and keep track of what you're doing. [​IMG]

3. E-Chick

E-Chick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2009
    Ramona
    Thanks for the info, MM!

To sell from my property, I might PO the handful of neighbors that I have (even if I let them know...insurance issues, I'm sure), and scare off some customers. I'm on a private road and my driveway is 1/4 mile of dirt...and a gate. [​IMG] Seems like it'd be a hassle to sell from my place.

Wishful thinking I guess. But, I'll keep looking into it. I hate to give away money on BS permits, even IF it's only $15 bucks. [​IMG]

That said, I don't want to do anything that may result in a big ol' fine, either! [​IMG]

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Call your County Extension or State Dept of Agriculture and ask for relevant regulations and procedures.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by