Farmers to sharply increase cage-free egg production‏

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by jojo54, Dec 1, 2010.

1. jojo54

jojo54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    BC Canada
  2. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Cool... maybe America will get in the competitive spirit and decide they don't want to let Canada claim the title for "more market share for specialty eggs than any jurisdiction in North America,"

One can hope anyways. Better still, convert ALL of them to organic and free range/run... then there won't BE any competition and everyone'll be healthier... humans and birds alike.

3. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    The only reason Canada hasn't increased cage-free and specialty egg production before now is because their government sharply limits who can produce eggs and how many.

We're not afflicted like that in the United States. Anyone who wants to get into that business is free to do so. The American egg industry is quite happy to sell all of those kinds of eggs that anyone wants to buy.

4. PineappleMama

A.T. Hagan :

We're not afflicted like that in the United States. Anyone who wants to get into that business is free to do so.

Well... that's the theory anyways. That anyone can enter any business... American way and all... but with the laws on the books it just ain't so, not unless you've got major bucks and a PAC on your payroll.

5. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    This is a small step in the right direction. Unfortunately many "cage free" situations are very nearly as bad as being in the cages (birds crowded in sheds with barely any room to move), but at least the birds will be able to move around some, as opposed to the cages. Hopefully this will reduce the suffering, even just a tiny bit.

I wish all chickens could have the life that mine and the ones at the farm animal sanctuary where I work do.

6. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Quote:Well... that's the theory anyways. That anyone can enter any business... American way and all... but with the laws on the books it just ain't so, not unless you've got major bucks and a PAC on your payroll.

You need the money to be sure just as you do with any kind of farming. The PAC you do not.

In fact there are already too many people producing these eggs in the United States. Chronic overproduction has been a problem for well over a hundred years. This is why commercial egg production is one of the most vertically integrated agricultural industries there is.

We have several folks here on this board who are in the commercial egg business - organic and cage free. They can tell you all about it.

7. PineappleMama

Oh, I hadn't read about overproduction... what do they do with the excess do you think?

Me myself when I have extras I give to my In Laws, and a friend too... wonder if they do the same but on a larger scale... to shelters and the like maybe. That would be pretty cool. Hope Hope Hope they don't just toss them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by