Farming Your Own

CorvusFarm

Songster
Nov 26, 2017
Corralitos, California
I'm on 8 acres of certified organic farm, and I'm already growing produce for local restaurants. With the space I have (and the number of incoming hens in the Spring), I'm going to dedicate a few hundred square feet to growing my own feed. Sunflowers and Milo are the two I'm most likely to go with, as they're easy to "cut and chuck" into the run. But I'm curious what others could/would grow if they had the opportunity.

Or, if you are already farming your own feed, I'd love to know your priorities.

NOTE: The grains I'm growing are supplemental. The hens still will have access to layer crumbles, grit, and free-choice scratch/shells/etc.

Last edited:
Following. I have not had huge success with a vegetable garden for myself due to local climate, however I too have been thinking of dedicating some space to growing food for my chickens. Grasses do well here so I might try and plant some varieties of wheat for them. I have seen neighbors have success with sunflowers, so a few of those as well.

Following. I have not had huge success with a vegetable garden for myself due to local climate, however I too have been thinking of dedicating some space to growing food for my chickens. Grasses do well here so I might try and plant some varieties of wheat for them. I have seen neighbors have success with sunflowers, so a few of those as well.

In my cover crops, the oats and ryes are growing easily. And those are all sown directly into the soil, so minimal effort. I might try those, too. I know that corn is popular in scratch, but corn is a space hog in the gardens, and also requires a lot more water for a lot less yield. I'd rather buy a couple hundred pounds of corn and add it to whatever I have.

My silly leghorn wouldn't touch the seeds in the sunflower head. I do feed them a small amount of my produce that I grow. Oh that same silly leghorn won't touch dry corn on the cob ,but loves it fresh. I am looking into produce high in protein. My moringa isn't growing very well hoping next season is better.

FWIW, milo is reported to be high in anti nutrients, and can actually be toxic if harvested during drought, and possibly very cold weather. Do a little research on that. That being said, I grew some: It was red broom corn, and the birds loved it. It didn't kill them! I would grow some of the same veggies you enjoy, and give the surplus to them. In the fall, birds love to eat slushy pumpkins and squash. Zucchini are an other hit.

Deep litter in the run will also cut your feed bill b/c it will attract lots of beneficial insects and worms. It will also keep pathogens in check, and give the birds healthier gut flora, thus improving your feed conversion rate.

An other diet benefit is fermented feed. That will also improve feed conversion. The fermentation process actually produces Lysine, Methionine, and B vitamins.

I would love to try wheat and barley. But, have not done so yet.

Can you dedicate some land to edible ornamentals, fruit trees and the like?

If you have not yet viewed it, do a google search for the "Back to Eden" video.

Black Soldier Fly Larvae might be a winner for you as well.

FWIW, milo is reported to be high in anti nutrients, and can actually be toxic

Black Soldier Fly Larvae might be a winner for you as well.

Great response, and thank you. I know that Milo can pose some risks, but it was a staple where i grew up in the Midwest. I'm alsongrowing some other grains, like Amaranth. Do not might be worth looking into adding to it.

I am on 8 Acres, all certified organic. There are some existing apple and Guava trees. They love the apples, but not the guavas. And I do plan on sharing the harvest with them. I'd forgotten about the pumpkins. Thanks for that reminder.

I also am trying figure out the deep litter. The run is 2400 square feet, so that is a LOT of material to get deep enough. I'm open to suggestions.

I also am trying figure out the deep litter. The run is 2400 square feet, so that is a LOT of material to get deep enough. I'm open to suggestions.
I have nowhere near the area you do but for me, straw is the cheapest deep litter material. If I could, I'd try to get a tree service to dump free wood chips and mix that in.

I've grown red Aztec spinach (huauzontle) which is a relative of quinoa for the leaves and seed heads to give to my chickens. They loved it and the wild birds ignored it, unlike my sunflowers.

I have to be careful with the tree service dump because of the organic certifications. But I've been using straw to start. I'm glad to see others using it, too.
That's a good point. Trees where I am aren't sprayed, unless they came from a pecan farm, maybe then... and I'm only growing organic for myself so no certifications needed. I can't imagine all the stuff you must go through as a commercial organic farmer, but thank you for doing it!

That's a good point. Trees where I am aren't sprayed, unless they came from a pecan farm, maybe then... and I'm only growing organic for myself so no certifications needed. I can't imagine all the stuff you must go through as a commercial organic farmer, but thank you for doing it!

Ha! There are some crazy regulations and lots of paperwork.

As for the trees, they don't even have to be chemically treated to screw up the certs. If they can't be traced back to an organic property and verified as such, I lose my certifications. To regain, I would have to remove x inches of top soil from the property and wait 3 years to reapply. (Generally speaking)

Back
Top Bottom