Farmyard Bizzaro- diary on a crazy farmyard's days (Geese and Chickens)

ChickyChickens

Chickening Around
5 Years
May 24, 2014
BYC? Epic <3
My Coop
My Coop
So, here is the beginning of an awesome thread! (I hope!?)
This is how it started: when I was 5 years old we went to a zoo/park where they ad a huge amount of chickens. I loved it and stayed there for almost 3 hours while my parents went on (left me there) to go for a stroll! When they came back, they saw me feeding all of the chickens! There were chickens on my shoulders/head/feet and I was feeding them corn (I went and asked the manager for some) My birthday was the next month, and guess what I got for my birthday? (6th b-day)Yes, you got it chickens! My mother took me away while my father and grandfather built the chicken coop (a very simple one, as you will see later on)! It didn't take them very long. My mother told me that there was a surprise waiting for me at home (that was the longest 1 hour drive I have ever been on !
he.gif
When I got home my father took me to our neighbours where I was allowed to pick 10 hens and 1 rooster for my flock! They were all white so it was easy for me to pick!

About 2 months later my grandparents came over and brought with them a pair of bantams! (the hen died of egg-boundness and the roo died of old age) That hen went broody about 15 times in her life! She and her husband dies last year!

My chickens went from 13 to 49 in 10 months! That was when I decided I would like to get broilers (it was just my birthday so I had money) and I ordered 50! When those had grown up the moved into the coop with my other chickens! Sadly that night our dog got in and killed all except for the 2 bantams and 3 of the hens (they jumped onto the roof of the coop and made it) I cried so much!

(That was 2007 so skip 5 years to 2013)
In 2013 my chickens had grown from 5 chickens to 79(I acquired a new roo as my bantam couldn't fertilise the normal sized hens eggs) In 2013 I also GOT GOATS! The goats (don't have pics, they were all; just stolen, yes all 17 of them
hit.gif
) lived with the chickens! 2013 was also the year where I started to free range my chickens (ever since I have done free-ranging they are breeding like crazy!) I also started taking more notice of my chickens in this year (like personalities, who was leader etc.)

Skip to 2014
Now in 2014 I get about 5 - 10 broodies a month and that = 35 to 70 chicks a month. With all the new stock I replace old hens and sell the roo's as a profit!
I have also started to keep broilers again and get 100 every 2 weeks! I am also getting some good money from that!

Why I call my flock Bizarre (and me)
I call my flock bizarre because they are mix of a lot of different breeds! Some are pure breeds others EE, others NN, others bantam others barnyard mutt's! I am bizarre cause!
(1) I own so many loved chickens
(2) I leave the chickens to do everything naturally (except for feeding watering and bringing inside when their eggs are hatching!)
(3) I am just totally crazy
sickbyc.gif

Here are a FEW (SEE WHAT I MEAN BY CRAZY!?) pics (sorry if the pic description doesn't go with the pic)

We have three main roo's!

Blackie Orange rooster

Some pics of the now broodies that have chicks

Sparkle Voldi Millie the 2nd Nameless!? HennyPenny

Broodies with eggs!

Moonshine Biggy Mrs Frizzle Goldie (left) AVH (right)

Some nests (crazy and normal)!

In the nesting box (normal) In the plant pot (crazy) In an old milk container (craormal) You can see the nest in the bottom (normal)

The Coop! (see what I mean by basic)

The coop + entrance The first room where they roost! The second, the nest boxes are there Hay bales outside the coop where I get all my hay from!

Some other Chickens!

The teenagers hanin' Faveroute Chicken (don't tell) Eggbert 2 RIR's (nameless)

Last but not least, the broilers!

With the light on With the light off!

Sorry if the pics description doesn't go with the pic (just hang with me please)
There will be more coming!

Last edited:
Wanted to show all you guys the future protector of my flock!#
Bella the Jack Russell!

I forgot to mention

This is roo is our top dog roo! (Orange Rooster)

This Roo is Second in command (Blackie)

And this is our top hen Eggbert!

I have found another broody!

She is under this deck! Our front door deck! We had guests today and by luck they stepped on the stair she was under and hen she let out a huge growl! Luckily the guest just got a fright and didn't do anything else, but was it funny.
lau.gif

You can see her through the crack! (she is white)

Last edited:
The broilers have officially moves to grower food today (grower= 2-3 week food, didn't know if it worked like that in other places/countries
idunno.gif
)
Cant wait till they are old/fat enough to be slaughtered!
Anyways, the chickens are all already sleeping and snoozing on their roost!
Will try to post some pics tomorrow night of them on the roost!

Mrs Frizzles eggs are finally hatching, well peeping inside the eggs we can say! This is her second time being broody (her first rime she only got one chick and it got ridden over by a car) so I hope it goes well for her!
Here is a pic to remind you who Mrs Frizzle is!

Se is a really small chicken and the roo's have really hurt her back! I want to get a saddle for her!

Back
Top Bottom