Farrah attacked me!!!

paganfish

Songster
12 Years
Sep 15, 2007
Fleming, Colorado
Hello-

Today I let the bantys out for their daily outing. Well, the new moms decided to come out, dust and scratch around. They called for the chicks to come out with them but the chicks just peeped from inside the coop and would not come out. Finally, the moms gave up and resumed their antics outside the coop. Every once a while when a hen or bird came into the run (little wrens) one or other mom would run in there and chase them out.

LOL! I can't help but laugh at how vicious they can be!

When it was time to put them away, I got everyone in the run 'cept Mama Cass. She kept going into the barn and out but not into the run. (I guess she kept hearing the chicks in the coop which is adjacent to the barn and is where I go in to collect eggs.) Anyway, she kept going into the barn and after my third try at trying to get her around the barn and into the run, I finally trapped her in a corner to pick her up. All of a sudden, around the corner comes Farrah. She was running fast too and attacked me as I picked MC up. I mean it was an out and out attack. WOW!

I, of course, laughed...she couldn't possibly hurt me if she tried but thought it odd that a hen would defend another! I mean, I can understand if it was one of the chicks but...another hen? Even the roosters don't do that! LOL!

Have you guys ever had that happen? It's only happened this once...with this banty!

Another thing...I was watching this add on t.v. where a woman is frying eggs. She cracks the eggs and puts them in oil and I see they are all FLAT and think, "oh my...those are real old eggs!" What? I'd never in a million years would have said that, before I got chickens! LOL! It's weird what we pick up along the way, huh? Is this normal? I am starting to see the world in a different way since I got chickens. Do I need help? LOL!

Thanks for listening to my diatribe. Here's a picture of the moms (Mama Cass is brown and Farrah is, of course, the blond with feathers on the side of her head. Ameraucana)

Cheers

Pedro ~c:->

brooder002.jpg

Last edited:
I havent ever seen a hen try to protect another hen.. but then again everytime I pick up one of my hens I have a turkey that tries to flog me.. guess the thinks they belong to him..

funny how we see things egg related now... my girls are molting and so I am out of eggs. I actually had to buy some at the store. The next morning I made my 10 y.o. son scrambled eggs... he took one look at them and asked if they were safe to eat because the color was so pale! I'll never be without hens again!
smile.png

FCM - I forgot to mention that they sat on the same clutch of eggs for the duration of gestation period. It might be a factor. Farrah would probably not care if I grabbed any of the other bantys...but Mama Cass sat with her and it was an act of self preservation. They take turns caring for the chicks while the other is out about...but, what do I know? LOL!

Susan - I know. I made breakfast burritos for a friend that came over for a visit and he said, "dude! these look SO yellow!" Duh!

LOL!!!

~c:->

...another thing. I gave some eggs to a coworker and the next day she asked why I gave her bad eggs. I didn't know what she meant since I gather eggs 2 a day so the hens don't have a chance to sit on them and I rarely keep eggs for more than 3 weeks. I knew they were fresh but I still had to ask her..."why do you say that?"

She said, "...some of them were blue! Should I throw them out?"

I asked if she was referring to the egg shell *color*?

To which she said, "yes"

I was dying laughing and she looked at me bewildered. Kept asking me what did she do wrong?

I told her the eggs were fine and tried explaining the EE chickens. She had a hard time believing me. She thought I colored them. LOL!

That was the last time I gave HER eggs!

Funny...she didn't think anything wrong about the brown eggs!!!

Newchickens001.jpg

Judy - LOL! No...I think it's Pink. I remember it being pink but real pale...like a diluted pepto bismol pink. On the picture it does look a bit darker than it was...originally. Same as with the blue/green egg. It was a real light pastel-ish in color. I need a new camera!!!

Purple...now, that would be weird, huh?

Seminole - Really? Wow! I'd had them before...when I live in Taos, NM. They sold them at the organic for tree huggers' grocery store up the road. I bought a dozen thinking they were exotic looking. Now, I get two a day...LOL! I want MORE!

Last edited:
This is Lucy...she and her sister Ethel (couldn't find a picture of her...I'll have to take one) lay the pretty EE eggs. Ethel is lighter (in color) than Lucy...

Newchickens004.jpg

Back
Top Bottom