Farrah, Jaclyn & Kate

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Lost Bird, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Lost Bird

Lost Bird Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2014
    North Texas
    Hello my fellow chick lovers!

I have three chicks that are almost 6.5 weeks old. Yea, their names are Farrah, Jaclyn & Kate.

I've got a great coop ready and waiting for them to graduate to from the brooder. While I've searched previous threads on the transition, would like your experiences on how to best handle the transition.

From my research I've learned: They will freak out. Just how they roll. A way to ease the transition is to put the brooder in the coop for the first few days. Don't expect them to embrace the run very soon.

What have I missed?

Back story: We had a chicken adopt us a couple of years ago. Middle of the 'burbs, she just came into our yard and wouldn't leave. She tried to crow like a rooster (but was really bad at it) and research suggested she was calling for friends so we commenced with a coop so we could provide her some (suckers that way.) Coop was well underway when she didn't ask to come in as she'd done for a year (we would carry her into the garage for her to roost.) Have no idea what happened to her, perhaps she found another home to squat on, although the reports of the bobcats behind our house the same evening she didn't return might have had something to do with it. If so, RIP Betsy. But here we had a coop and no chickens, so a friend gave us three of her 25 chick order... and now I'm rambling.

2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    With no adult chickens to merge the chicks with, you can move them into the coop any time.
    Make them comfortable with food and water and leave them for a couple days cooped up. Then on the third morning, show them how to go out through the pop hole into the run. You might entice them out with treats.

They may or may not return to the coop at dusk. You just need to entice them back into the coop in reverse. It doesn't take long for them to catch on to the drill.

Chicks are especially vulnerable to predators, from sky and ground, so I hope you have a secure run for them, or they may last no longer than your squatter hen.

3. Lost Bird

Lost Bird Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2014
    North Texas
    Thanks azygous!

After seeing a hawk on the back fence I made sure that the run is quite secure. We call the coop & run Fort Knox. [​IMG]

4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    That's what most of us call our runs![​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by