Farriers coming today ....

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by 2468Chickensrgr8, Dec 16, 2009.

1. 2468Chickensrgr8

2468Chickensrgr8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    Ontario
    to put the winter tires on .....lol ...and its cold and we dont have a barn !! Just a shelter ....I feel so bad for him !

2. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    My horse was just trimmed earlier this week. However, she's 1/2 Arab and only gets her hooves trimmed every 12-16 weeks. I love her feet! [​IMG]

Give your farrier some eggs for his trouble

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  3. 2468Chickensrgr8

Nov 7, 2007
    Ontario
    My farrier has chickens [​IMG]....I thought I'd give him a pair of foot warmer insoles for his boots....I had origionally bought them for Hubby's stockin' ha ha ha !!!

We have a part arab part Diva horse also [​IMG] My 11 yr old DD horse.....but she has a club foot and has to be done every 8 weeks or so...my hubby only wishes !!! $$$$$$....My horse has all four because when I bought him(past July) he had very flat feet and needs the extra care....plus we plan on doing alot of trail riding this winter....plan on it [​IMG].....we have too or hubby will be upset....ha ha ha !!!! $$$$$

Cleaned all the poo balls out of shelter this morning....

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Bring a thermos of hot chocolate or coffee out there with you, at least. Seriously. When you find a good farrier you gotta keep him HAPPY and keep him, whatever it takes!

Something to contemplate for the future is, could you make a removable half-wall (plywood, or plywood wired onto a gate) that could close in the shed or one bay of it? Having less wind and shovelables blowing in on him would be at least halfway to indoors.

Honestly the only three reasons I have a barn are a) hay storage, b) I do put the horses in a coupla nights a year b/c one is an older TB and another is a middle-aged-but-weenie TB, and almost more important than the other two things, c) I need to have the vet and farrier WANT to come out here [​IMG]

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

5. verthandi

verthandi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    Maine
    Quote:Pat's right, my farrier gets spoiled. Hot coffee in the winter and I move the barn fans to the aisle way when it is hot in the summer. Plus I make sure I have Mountain Dew on hand. That's it though, my farrier might take advantage of "whatever it takes. " [​IMG]

6. 2468Chickensrgr8

Nov 7, 2007
    Ontario
    Boiling the water as I type....thanks guys .....

7. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    In college I worked for a vet taking care of his horses...they had the greatest way of helping the farrier...me. I don't understand how those guys can stay humped over all day hanging on to a foot! I was impressed! There was one gelding that was a natorious biter and would just sit on you when you did anything with a hoof...I would whisper that the french eat horses in his ear!

8. Soccer Mom

Soccer Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    West of Crazy
    A good farrier is worth his weight in gold. Mine has to come every 6 weeks because my mini horse is a rescue and was a chronic founder problem. She is also arthritic and has to have her feet "just right" to keep from being sore. I have so many mini donkeys that I bought my farrier knee pads, the gel ones like they sell for gardeners.

Hot chocolate is a great idea!

9. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    Yes! When you have a good farrier it is important to keep him happy! Mine was here on Monday. He is a junk food junkie so he gets chocolates for Christmas.
    Gel Pads are a good idea!

10. 2468Chickensrgr8

Nov 7, 2007
    Ontario
    Well I just got in ...We did my three......I helped the farrier with my friends 5 horses around the corner also....well she got home in time to hold her year and a half yearling stud muffin ...she also has a barn ....so the farrier had to take his coat off because it was toooooo warm ...he loved the hot chocolate and the insoles ....... we noticed my guy has a swollen knee [​IMG]........just happened in the last 24 hours...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by