fart egg or is this normal for a new girl??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by torrelee, Nov 13, 2011.

1. torrelee

torrelee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    long beach, wa
    So I got a tiny egg today. I don't think that it came from my australorps and the middle girls just started laying, but they're still a lot bigger than the tiny guy. Do bantams start laying earlier than large fowl, because I do have two bantam crosses that are right around 5 months old so I suppose it could be theirs, I just wasn't expecting them to lay yet! What do you guys think?
    [​IMG]
    My hands are kind of small so it looks bigger than it really is!
    [​IMG]
    The line up, top eggs are the australorps, middle eggs are the middle girls, and the bottom egg is the tiny one!!

2. ChickenKid11

ChickenKid11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    It is normal for new layers to do that for a while but when you start getting bigger eggs down the road you will might get a fart egg!

3. debs_flock

debs_flock Overrun With Chickens

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA
    It just looks like a small pullet egg. When my leghorn started, her first few eggs qualified as "peewee" (less than 35 grams). She now lays anywhere from medium to large.

Deb

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Got one today myself from a new pullet. I take them as a good sign. Begin slowly and get the hang of it, I guess.

5. daver

daver Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Linden, NC
    Looks a normal pullet egg.

6. AngelaB

AngelaB Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2011
    Michigan
    My BA's first eggs were quite small.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by