1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Fart Egg?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TinyTotsSeramas, Dec 21, 2011.

1. TinyTotsSeramas

TinyTotsSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Just a question but has anyone ever tried to incubate one?
    If so did it hatch?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 24, 2011
  2. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    Yeah there's a thread on one, and someone hatched it, and it grew up perfectly normal and I think it was the same size as the other chickens.

3. TinyTotsSeramas

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Quote:Thats awesome! I know this is probably way too small to even try but my smallest Serama hen who only wheighs 12oz, Just laid this oober small egg on top of the small eggs she already lays lol

[​IMG]

Next to my 6'2", father's finger!

[​IMG]

4. quintinp

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    I wouldn't try it. I am not against it, I just really wouldn't want the chick to develop and die during the incubation process.

5. quintinp

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    Quote:Thats awesome! I know this is probably way too small to even try but my smallest Serama hen who only wheighs 12oz, Just laid this oober small egg on top of the small eggs she already lays lol

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hpho...51974644_1435200389_33067138_1534670478_n.jpg

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hpho...31694137_1435200389_33067133_1100762403_n.jpg

By the way, I have a few fart eggs, and I wanted to keep them so I poked a hole into both ends and blew out the gross stuff, but the egg shell was really thick, just think if a chick that size was to try to hatch it would have a REALLY hard time trying to get out of the thick shell.

6. TinyTotsSeramas

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hpho...51974644_1435200389_33067138_1534670478_n.jpg

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hpho...31694137_1435200389_33067133_1100762403_n.jpg

By the way, I have a few fart eggs, and I wanted to keep them so I poked a hole into both ends and blew out the gross stuff, but the egg shell was really thick, just think if a chick that size was to try to hatch it would have a REALLY hard time trying to get out of the thick shell.

Yeah I blew both of my laying hen's first eggs and im glad I dont give them oyster shell because they were both hard to get the needle threw the shell!

OT - What do you do with your blown eggs? I painted the one as a christmas ornimant for my daughter but it didnt turn out that great...

7. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    that egg looks like a yolk and thats it, I wouldn't bother.

8. quintinp

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    Quote:By the way, I have a few fart eggs, and I wanted to keep them so I poked a hole into both ends and blew out the gross stuff, but the egg shell was really thick, just think if a chick that size was to try to hatch it would have a REALLY hard time trying to get out of the thick shell.

Yeah I blew both of my laying hen's first eggs and im glad I dont give them oyster shell because they were both hard to get the needle threw the shell!

OT - What do you do with your blown eggs? I painted the one as a christmas ornimant for my daughter but it didnt turn out that great...

No, I just put mine in a plastic baggie to show people.

9. MamaMarcy

MamaMarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    Isn't a Fart egg a yolkless egg? If there's no yolk no chick will grow.

Are you meaning a first (small) egg? I have one in lockdown right now, so far it's doing awesome.

10. TinyTotsSeramas

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Quote:Fart eggs dont always have no yolks. This isnt her first egg either. The egg beside the fart egg is also her's from the previous day!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by