Fart Eggs Continually

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cluckinalong, Jan 10, 2015.

1. cluckinalong

cluckinalong Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2009

I have a couple of 3 yr old hens. I'm in the process of downsizing so these little gals will be the end of chicken husbandry for me.
    In all my 71 years, I have never experienced 'fart' eggs until,these gals. Perhaps they were laid in the woods in my earlier years but never, ever in nests.
    I understand this is an oddity and happens occasionally but,, has anybody ever had a hen that did it on a regular basis?
    I am most certain I know which little gal is responsible for useless oddity but getting rid of her for her misfortune isn't an option, they are such buddies.
    My question is just that, does anybody have a hen that lays nothing but these tiny good-for-nothing's?
    On occasion I collect, scramble and feed them back.

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Fart eggs, never heard of it. maybe just me ????????

3. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    I just got one yesterday from a new layer. Maybe the hen is out of eggs or they are not maturing fast enough and there are just specks of yolk or shed lining of tract triggering her body to make the shell.

1 person likes this.
  4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    justplainbatty makes a good point.

Have you opened the eggs...what's in them?
    What breed are the hens?

5. Happy Dad

Happy Dad Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2012
    Eastern Nebraska
  6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yes, I had a hen laying them fairly regularly. My hatchery Light Brahma did 2 summers ago, then she quit laying all together. (she was 4 years old at the time)

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by