Fart Eggs? How long does this stage last?

Kiwi Chicky

Songster
10 Years
Jul 18, 2009
Te Awamutu, NZ
I have one barred rock hen almost 2years old according to breeder I brought her from.

She lays a fart egg about 20mm round about every second day. No yolk, but nice strong shell.

Is she ok?
Will she start laying big eggs?
Can I help her?

They get pellets, wheat, oyster shell, 'chook chow' ( a mix of seeds, oats, molasses, maize etc) and they free range around the house and farm most afternonns.

At 2 years shes probally done laying eggs but I could be wrong. Maybe shes just taking a rest has she ever laid a nice egg?

If she is two years old and consistently laying fart eggs, it is probably genetic. I'm not aware of any disease that would cause that, but I am not a disease expert.

At two years, she has probably been through her last juvenile molt and one adult molt. She should be laying large well-formed eggs fairly consistently and probably at her peak lay rate. After the second adult molt, the production could drop by 10 to 15% (maybe one less egg a week) but the egg quality should be very good.

She has laid one nice normal sized egg, that I know of.

Could she be related to my Rooster?
The breeder I brought them from - 1 Roo and 2 hens - couldn't tell me if they were related or not?

Would this cause her problem?
Should I ask a vet?

Back
Top Bottom