Fart Eggs? How long does this stage last?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Kiwi Chicky, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Kiwi Chicky

Kiwi Chicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2009
    Te Awamutu, NZ
    I have one barred rock hen almost 2years old according to breeder I brought her from.

She lays a fart egg about 20mm round about every second day. No yolk, but nice strong shell.

Is she ok?
    Will she start laying big eggs?
    Can I help her?

They get pellets, wheat, oyster shell, 'chook chow' ( a mix of seeds, oats, molasses, maize etc) and they free range around the house and farm most afternonns.

2. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    At 2 years shes probally done laying eggs but I could be wrong. Maybe shes just taking a rest has she ever laid a nice egg?

3. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I get one of those marble sized eggs every now and again. I don't think you need to worry too much about it unless it's an everyday thing.

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    If she is two years old and consistently laying fart eggs, it is probably genetic. I'm not aware of any disease that would cause that, but I am not a disease expert.

At two years, she has probably been through her last juvenile molt and one adult molt. She should be laying large well-formed eggs fairly consistently and probably at her peak lay rate. After the second adult molt, the production could drop by 10 to 15% (maybe one less egg a week) but the egg quality should be very good.

5. Kiwi Chicky

Kiwi Chicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2009
    Te Awamutu, NZ
    She has laid one nice normal sized egg, that I know of.

Could she be related to my Rooster?
    The breeder I brought them from - 1 Roo and 2 hens - couldn't tell me if they were related or not?

Would this cause her problem?
    Should I ask a vet?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by