Fashion Challenge contest!! Find Fattie a Fabulous Dress! *prize*

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Funky Feathers, Dec 16, 2011.

1. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    OK all you Fashion Police~ I have a challenge for you all: find me the perfect dress that is beautiful, stylish, comfortable and flattering on me. I am a large woman, I weigh 180+ and stand at 5'4-1/2" tall. See pics below. Brown hair + eyes. I wear size XL (16). I like pastel colors & floral/embellished designs. Empire waist, 3/4 length sleeves preferred, a party dress for winter, for family gatherings/parties. The person who finds the perfect dress for me (post pics & link to where to buy it here) wins a prize. I will pick the winner on New Year's Day. Ready-set-go!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. greeneggsandham

greeneggsandham Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Putnam,CT
    What is your price range?

3. greeneggsandham

greeneggsandham Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Putnam,CT
  4. Funky Feathers

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    Quote:$15-$75. [​IMG]

5. Funky Feathers

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    Ugh, brown. I don't like brown, I like bright pastel colors. Pink, Magenta, blue, green, etc. [​IMG] It can be from eBay, Amazon, Fashion Bug, Walmart, Target, Catalogs, Sears, JC Penney, Coldwater Creek, any place like that.

6. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    Rethink the Empire waist. I'm fluffy too, and while it feels nice it is not always the best for us bigger ladies, especially those of us who are blessed on top.

I'll try to find links to some styles I find flattering, especially for us bigger girls. I like square, V and sweetheart necklines. The straight across of many sleeveless Empire waists dress make things look choppy. Something with shoulders and a larger opening makes the body look longer.

The more open neckline will lengthen your body, I would also make sure that the skirt length is between knee and mid thigh. Again, it lengthens your body. Think long legs, and long neck. Being shortish, you also want to avoid anything with a wide belt. If it has a belt, it should be small and thin.

Here are a couple, they aren't quite what I was thinking of, but I thought they were pretty. Good luck, I'll look more later.

http://www.dressbarn.com/detail/floral-ruched-satin-dress/100946739/300

http://www.dressbarn.com/detail/grecian-style-jersey-dress-with-back-drape/100926143/802

7. dfr1973

dfr1973 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Nov 20, 2011
    rural central FL
    My recommendation is to have a simple classic dress custom-fitted for you. Judging at your pictures, you have the same problem with retail tops/dresses that I do: needing to buy 1-2 sizes too large in the shoulders and waist just to get it over the bust. Your blue princess-seamed buttonup top is the more flattering (except for being too big through the shoulders and neck) and definitely stick to a V-neck or "picture" neckline (similar to a V but with an extra angle per side). A vertical print, embroidery, or stripe would be best as it has a visually sliming effect and gives the optical illusion of being taller.

I think you would truly love just about any garment that actually fit your shape properly. I know I prefer my still-beginner attempts to fit much better than anything I can purchase at the store.

8. Funky Feathers

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    Yeah, if only I could find a dress that fit me good and had pretty colors. [​IMG]

9. Carols Clucks

Carols Clucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Shoot, If I find you the right dress on $2 wednesday at my fav thrift store do I win the prize? How about a $4 combo, skirt and top? What about a box worth?

I spent $10 this week and got 3 pants-2 tops (J Jill and Talbots and Jones)

10. dfr1973

dfr1973 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Nov 20, 2011
    rural central FL
    Quote:Ask around and see if anyone you know sews. It's the only way to get the colors you want with the right fit. It will be more expensive than buying from the majority of stores, but you will be much happier with what you get.

I started to learn to sew in August '09 because of color and style, and discovered the truth of fit in the process.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by