Fast cure for splay-leg!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CBarrett, Dec 2, 2011.

1. CBarrett

CBarrett Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Crestview, FL
    This past April I bought 6 day-old chicks (our first time trying to raise chickens) and in May, I noticed one of the chicks was having trouble getting around. Eventually she couldn't even stand let alone walk, and other than those symptoms she was healthy, eating and drinking. We were holding her up to eat and drink, and then just putting the food and water within reach of her little box where she preferred to stay, but I hated to see her that way.

I started doing some research to see what could possibly be wrong and found the term "splay-leg". Someone had the same problem with one of her chicks, and suggested the following: Get a bandaid, cut it lengthwise in half, attach one end of it to one leg, and the other end to the other leg of the chick.

I brought chicky into the house and in her own little box and attached the bandaid as instructed, then let her be. The next day I came in to check on her and she was standing! That afternoon I took her outside in the grass and let her wobble around a little, then she started walking! We did this exercise a couple of times a day for about 3 days when she seemed to be doing really well. I took the bandaid off, and off she went! (See pics below) Her one foot was still a little weak and she didn't seem to be using her toes very well at first, but her legs were straight and perfectly stable. I am happy to say that she is now completely normal and healed, and a wonderful little layer. She is also my favorite little chicky, and she still lets me hold her in my lap. [​IMG]

Here we go:

This is her with the bandaid right before I took it off...

[​IMG]

Here she is "high-stepping" and proud that she can walk again! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  2. coloradochick

coloradochick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    [​IMG]

3. Patricia Jane

Patricia Jane Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2010
    Petaluma CA
    Congrats. Doesn't it give you such a wonderful feeling knowing you made a big difference in this little guys life. Wonderful job. [​IMG] and:welcome

4. CBarrett

Sep 23, 2011
    Crestview, FL
    Thank you! And yes, it was a wonderful feeling to help out the little chick.. Hard to describe. [​IMG]

5. Gargoyle

Gargoyle Overrun With Chickens

Apr 13, 2011
    Fox Valley, IL
    My Coop
    Glad it's all working out well. I'm wondering, we have a pullet that's 5 or 6 months old (we just got her two weeks ago) with a mild case of splay leg. It doesn't slow her down. She's quite feisty and quick, she is the smallest of our four but I think she's becoming the boss. She seems as agile as the others. My instinct is to not worry about it and not bother doing anything. However, does anyone think it could get worse or that I should pay attention or do anything?

[​IMG]

6. CBarrett

Sep 23, 2011
    Crestview, FL
    I would say she will probably be just fine. Usually splay leg occurs in very young chicks - it could be that she had it when she was younger and is now getting better. I wouldn't worry at all if she is getting around well!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by