Fast feedback needed! PLEASE help!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kaitlyn_rae2003, Apr 13, 2011.

1. kaitlyn_rae2003

kaitlyn_rae2003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2010
    Laconia NH
    I just entered lockdown, and my humidity is sky high...I removed the sponges, and the paper towels, syphoned out water....hoping it helps. I decided to hatch out in egg cartons with the bottoms cut off, but with the humidity so high, they actually are wet, kind of soggy. Is this normal? should I switch them out to dry ones? or lay eggs on their sides? how the heck can i get my humidity down? and how high is too high? I am working on borrowed time now, no pips but once i do, i cannot open the bator! thanks for any help

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I keep humidity around 70% during lockdown. If I use my still air incubator I keep it a little lower, around 65%.

I would replace the cartons with ones that aren't soggy. My cartons never get soggy. Did you fill the water resivours (sp?) to high and the water is touching the cartons?

3. kaitlyn_rae2003

kaitlyn_rae2003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2010
    Laconia NH
    no it is not touching the cartons but I must have filled them too high! its like 85% [​IMG] all 24 had definite movement when candled. Do you think i have already killed them? [​IMG]

gosh this is so tricky.

4. abritton77

abritton77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2011
    Broken Bow
    All you can do is remove water. Did you spill any? If you did and now have it cleaned up then you may have to just wait a bit. You could open it for a min or 2 which will help a little...It wont hurt the eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by