Fast growing chicks that can join the flock early?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Sire12, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Sire12

Sire12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2016
    Northern Ireland
    I've been looking for black australorps over here for a year now and no one local has them :( so I've decided to try buying eggs from a breeder and getting them delivered to hatch them myself, I've bought a 7 egg incubator and a heat lamp, and some starter crumb so I will have them ready for whenever I find some eggs
    So I know black aussies grow quite fast and are at point of lay at 5 months, are there any other fast growing very large breeds like that? Laying isn't really a trait I'm after, looking more for friendly and also big heavy breeds like Jersey giants but they grow quite slow right? Thx

2. EthanTheChicken

EthanTheChicken Just Hatched

Hi I'm new here but I think I can help you. I have one Australorp named Black Shadow she had laid non stop since May last year. Australorp are a good chose as they do grow very fast and the lay a lot and they are quite heavy! If you are looking for a heavy breed I would suggest a Buff Orpington, but they do grow slow! If you are looking for good breeds that will lay well I would suggest Blue Bells, Warrens, Light Sussex and Barred Plymouth Rock. Hope this helps! Feel free though to ask me any questions about hatching and keeping chicks in a brooder as I love hatching chicks! :thumbsup

3. Sire12

Sire12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2016
    Northern Ireland
    Ah perfect thanks for that info! I will definately be getting some black Aussies then, there aren't any eggs up for sale online right now so I may try a batch of one of those breeds you mentioned :)

4. EthanTheChicken

EthanTheChicken Just Hatched

Glad I could help :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by