1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Fast Regenerating plants for Chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by n8mont4, Apr 21, 2012.

1. n8mont4

n8mont4 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2012
    New York
    Im looking to grow plants that regenerate quickly and can be harvested at intervals (cut off a piece of lettuce each day , give a section of plant ) Anything that is cheap to grow and can reduce the cost of feed. For example I have been growing Duckweed and feeding it to them because it doubles in quantity every day or so.

Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks.

2. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    Often we simply pull off the leaves of conveniently located weeds for treats. The chickens are quite fond of poke salad; and it grows fast.

Chris

3. AMA Chick

AMA Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Glasgow KY
    Where do you get duckweed to start with? I wouldn't mind growing it for my girls

4. n8mont4

Apr 14, 2012
    New York
    You can go to a fish store or a seasonal store that sells flowers and also has fish, they should have it. If you have swamps/ponds nearby, you can scoop some out of it. If you dont have any of these, it is on ebay for $5 for 1/4 cup.

5. n8mont4

Apr 14, 2012
    New York
    Thanks

6. RedDrgn

RedDrgn Anachronistic Anomaly

May 11, 2011
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Asparagus. Ours also love clover and just about any kind of leaf lettuce. If you let some of the lettuce go to seed, it will just keep coming.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by