Fasteners for the new treated lumber

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by woodguy, Jun 14, 2010.

1. woodguy

woodguy Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2010
    Bushwood
    Has anyone ever had any nails or screws or washers for that matter corode using the newer copper impregnated treated lumber? While building my coop(which is not yet finished) everywhere a nail is going to be in contact with the treated lumber I have been using galvanized nails specially made for the new treated lumber. Supposedly you can not use the older type of galvanized fasteners with it as it will corode...it's an electrolysis thing... I have heard one story from a trusted source that after this new copper impregnated lumber was first introduced someone used the older type galvanized nails to build a treated lumber walkway or something similar and after 6 months the heads of the nails popped right off. They do now make special galvanized nails and screws for this and also stainless fasteners can be used without any ill effects.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I'm not sure what the actual question was, but I have absolutely zero reason to disbelieve the manufacturers' statement that you have to use appropriate fasteners for ACQ lumber, as it obviously DOES contain pretty corrosive compounds and even the old CCA lumber would 'eat' poorly-galvanized or plain hardware.

So yes, by all means, do make sure that the hardware you are using is explicitly rated for ACQ.

Pat

3. myway57

myway57 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2009
    blanchard La.
    I am in construction, and Yes you do have to use the correct nails. The treated lumber will destroy untreated nails and fasteners. [​IMG]

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Ummmm, treated lumber is bad for chickens....

5. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    I've yet to see a chicken gnaw a piece of wood. Treated lumber is very nearly all I've ever used with poultry.

6. churchx3

churchx3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Georgia
    [​IMG] funny!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
  7. woodguy

woodguy Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2010
    Bushwood
    A.T. Hagan :

I've yet to see a chicken gnaw a piece of wood. Treated lumber is very nearly all I've ever used with poultry.

+1​

8. Splash Giants

Splash Giants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2009
    I have never in 25 years seen treated wood hurt a chicken.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by