1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Fastest Growing chickens for meat?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ESofVA, May 21, 2012.

1. ESofVA

ESofVA Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    Keller, VA
    I am new and still learning so pls have patience. This thread may even be in the wrong place.

I know that white rock x are fast growing. Also know that Orpingtons and Rocks grow pretty fast, too. I would like to raise my own table birds from my own eggs. I have just recently begun to acquire chicks to raise for a small flock. Which breed of chicken would you say grows the fastest for meat?
    Thanks!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Cornish rock X are bred specifically for rapid weight gain and good conversion rate of feed. There can be, however, some problems involved in raising them. I would suggest going to the meat bird section and scrolling through the threads that are there.

3. ESofVA

May 4, 2012
    Keller, VA
    I don't want White Rock x's for that specific reason. I just would like to know the fastest growing chickens for meat that I can raise from eggs.
    Debbie

4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Well you have a good many choices
    For crosses you have,

Heavy Cornish Crosses 7 wks - 5.25 lbs
    White Cornish Rock Giant 9 wks - 4.50 lbs
    Colored Meat Breeds 10 wks - 4.50 lbs
    - Red
    - Black
    - Grey
    Colored Ranger Breeds 10 wks - 4.50 lbs
    - Kosher King
    - Red Bro
    - Yellow
    - Black
    - Tricolor
    http://www.myerspoultry.com/2011 MPF Catalog.pdf

Chris

5. ESofVA

May 4, 2012
    Keller, VA
    Thanks a ton. I went to the meat bird site and found a lot of good info there including some links to other peoples blogs. I now think I know what to do.
    debbie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by