fat hen problem

eraf

Hatching
10 Years
Apr 21, 2009
Several months ago I had a RIR get suddenly fat. I guess it happened over the course of a few weeks. we started to noticed that she was waddling and she felt heavy. She eventually become unable to move properly. I tried to find out what was wrong and most agreed it was probably a tumor. I made her comfortable and made sure she was eating and drinking after 5 weeks she died. She was one of my oldest hens about 3 years+. Now I have a Barred rock with the same symptoms. She is the next oldest hen I have at 3 years. I noticed yesterday that she is waddling and her legs are farther apart then the others.. she stops to rest quite a bit. She feels heavy. She has a healthy appetite and is still moblie. They both lay irregularly since their last molt. What could be happening and can I save this one? ANy help is appreciated.

I feel bad that no one has replied to this. Unless you are willing to get vet care or a visit from a poultry expert, you might just have to tend this bird as well.
idunno.gif

I have tried to get vet care but there are no vets in the area or surrounding area that will do chickens. It feels wierd that this has happened twice to 2 different breeds. I fear something is going on. I wondered if anyone else has had this problem ever. Could she be egg bound? I thought death from being egg bound would be pretty fast.

If she were mine I would try the opposite approach this time. Restrict her food and make her move more for what she gets. May older chickens are like other critters. Now that she is not putting effort into eggs she is obese and needs exercise and less food.
It may not make any difference but you may get a better idea of what is going on.
Good luck and I hope someone else has more hopeful suggestions.

The hen could be eggbound, and an older hen could indeed have ovarian issues complicating things as well. If she is upright in a "penguin" stance and seems bloated down below, she could also be retaining water in the body cavity from a very severe blockage/infection.

You might wish to PM one of our experienced folks, there are many and they are wonderful - - I could list a hundred - - but you might try MissPrissy, speckledhen, sammi, pine grove . . .

Please keep us posted on how things go.

Thank you. I do appreciate your help. She does have the penquin like stance so I think it is some kind of edema. I watched her yesterday and she is trying to lay an egg but can't seem to do it. I am thinking she might be egg bound. Any suggesstions on what to do about that? Is there anything I can do? Her vent is not prolapsed it looks fine.

if she is egg bound than a warm bath to relax her pelvic muscles would help her to pass the egg, I have read to put them on a warm heating pad also, same effect and lub her vent with olive oil/lub to help exspell that egg, so at least she will feel a little better. hope she does ok. goood luck

Back
Top Bottom