Fat Rhode Island Red, stopped eating

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nokomis, Mar 22, 2015.

1. nokomis

nokomis New Egg

Jun 3, 2014
    Today I made the decision to slaughter a Rhode Island Red that I hadn't seen eat in nearly a week. Every time I brought food or water into the coop she would just stay on her perch or outside. I thought she was sick and and was worried about the rest of my flock. We examined her before slaughter to see if she had an impacted crop or if she was egg bound. We found nothing. She was quite a large bird and was very sedentary compared to the rest of our flock. When I processed her I found that she was the fattest chicken I have ever seen. I have no idea how a chicken who acted so ill could have so much fat on her. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Did her liver look normal when you processed her? There is a disease called fatty liver hemorrhagic disease that causes hens to be very over weight. Some hens have a tendency to get that. They can suddenly stop laying eggs, and the liver can appear very pale when slaughtered.

3. nokomis

nokomis New Egg

Jun 3, 2014
    I took a quick look at her liver, and it didn't seem pale to me. There was a lot of fat around most of it though, so I didn't examine the whole thing. That still sounds like an interesting possibility. Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by