fat turkeys

TinkleTurkey

Songster
9 Years
Apr 7, 2010
Palmdale
My partner brought these things home from the feed store - broad breasted bronze. Only problem is, we don't intend to eat them. I know that they are probably doomed to a bitter end, but I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to postpone the growth. Is it totally out of the question to restrict their feeding? Has anyone had broad breasteds as pets before?

Maybe we should just eat them, so at least their lives don't go to waste. Is it weird to feel conflicted?

53520_img_8237.jpg

53520_img_8234.jpg

Better off to eat them and buy some Heritage Turkeys that you can have as pets they live longer.....And yes if you were not raised up with growing animals for food it is conflicting but that's animal husbandry-taking care of them the best you can so they provide sustenance for you. Those turkeys were bred to grow fast and eat young not to be pets really.

It is hard to get them past the first year but not impossible. At least it is at my altidude. This one is about 5 years old. He was used for AI and is now retired. His Mom was also long lived but died protecting babies that where not even hers.

57076_sebastian_3rd_birthday_and_poultry_158.jpg

probably eat them, then. So, that brings up other questions

if you eat your birds, do you slaughter them yourselves? at what age do they go to slaughter? is it possible to breed them before slaughtering?

I am not against eating my birds, I just hadnt intended to do so. Its probably not a bad idea we DO eat a lot of turkey why buy it at the store?

you might check for a meat processing place here they charge 10.00 per bird last time I checked we do it ourselves but we process our pigs too. Turkeys are big if you are not used to processing them it would be best to either find someone that has to help you or use a processor. Your BBBbirds are normally AI'd for reproduction. There is somebody that listed Heritage turkeys on craigslist in Santa Clarita those can easily reproduce then you will be like the rest of us smitten by our poults....and overrun with Turkeys.

ok, i have a couple of heritige poults right now. I definently need to find someone who can process them for me. I don't have any tools or experience with that sort of thing.

I do butcher my own now but when I first had birds that I need processed I did not know how. My Mom always just chopped off there heads and let them run around. I was not going to do that. I called a meat processor and found they also did not do poultry. But they did give me the number to a lady that did. This was the most interesting lady I think I have ever met. She was 98 year old and could tell you story's that I could listen to all day. She was one tough old bird too. She picked up a few turkeys at a time with no problem. She was amazing. I went back a few times just to learn and listen to her.

Back
Top Bottom