Fatal bee (or wasp) sting?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by deanna&rich, Jul 5, 2011.

1. deanna&rich

deanna&rich Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2009
    chimacum, WA
    Did my sweet drake die of a bee sting?

In the late afternoon yesterday, the three duck-hens were hanging out by themselves in the open area, and the drake was hunkered down about 15 yards away in the tall grassy/clover area. This was really unusual ... normally he is standing guard over the girls constantly, always watching the area while they eat or bathe or whatever.

When I went to look at him he was barely skittish, just wanted to stay down. I slowly herded him back to the nearby coop for safety, and he was walking normally. No neurological odd behavior (head movements normal, feet movements normal). But he just wanted to go back into the corner of the coop and rest. He is one year old.

I looked him over carefully ... eyes and nose all clear, no wounds, no bumblefoot, nothing abnormal that I could find. But when I put the girls to bed, they all acted very subdued and sat near him, not their usual fussy bedtime behavior. The pen is always dry and has fresh straw on top, it doesn't smell and is pretty clean.

In the morning he was dead in the same position I had left him; laying in the girls' favorite nest and the girls had laid their eggs by his head. (Geez girls, have some respect!!)

All I can imagine is that maybe he got stung by a bee? The clover is thick with blooms now in that yard, and there have been lots of insects feeding there. Or is there some other virus or something I should be concerned about?

thanks.

2. GoChick

GoChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2010
    maybe a snake?

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I'm so sorry you lost him.

I doubt that a bee sting would kill a drake, but I really don't know.

Imp

4. deanna&rich

deanna&rich Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2009
    chimacum, WA
    Thanks, I hadn't considered snakes. We do have small ones, but no poisonous snakes here in the Pacific Northwest. Could a duck die of a non-poisonous bite?

On the other hand, I think that we do have brown recluse spiders and those are poisonous. If they are in our field here, then... YIKES!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by