Fatal problem? Congenital defect in chick? Intestines?

5PinkBunnies

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 8, 2012
Fayetteville, NC

I just picked up a couple of lavendar orpingtons, a day or so old. above is the "working end" of one. I wet her butt down to remove what I thought was a tiny bit of poop stuck to her. In the pic, her vent is at "9 o'clock" and the thing I'm concerned about is at "3 o'clock." I thought it was her vent sticking out at first. I have another pic I will post next. Sorry if someone thinks this is graphic....

In this pic it looks like there's some blood, it's just the pic. no blood. Has anyone seen this? Should I expect her to not live very long? She acts fine in every other way.

Stacey

The poop you removed was her healing umbilicus. She might have a chance to live if you can delicately put the intestines back in. I tried with mine...and the more I worked at it and the chick struggles, the more the intestines came out...I have to put her down. It was my one and only sultan and I cried like a baby :(

Someone suggested that I try to keep the area moist and see if they would retract on their own. My little one's intestines were too far out...maybe yours might have a shot at something like that. Unfortunately, intestines can't dry out and infection is very possible. I hope someone else can help more.

I thought that the umbilicus was a small very thin dark line that looked like it was sticking out of the vent when they were brand-new? This is about 1/2" below her vent. I did try gently to push the bump back in, but thought I would ask for advice first. It does not go back in easily. I didn't make any progress. I can try it again later.

The umbilicus is below the vent...sometimes closer and it is a scab...it can be mistaken for dried poop.

Back
Top Bottom