Father Louis Cochram Ashley, RIP, Clovis NM 9/12/10

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by WriterofWords, Sep 12, 2010.

1. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    This morning at 11am, God called home a wonderful man, Father Louis Cochram Ashley. He was a fixture here in Chaparral for a long time, he was an animal lover who carried a shovel in his trunk to bury the unfortunate victims of vehicles. He would stop and take their bodies off the road and bury them, if they had a collar with a phone number he would call that number to let them know what had happened to their furry family member. Before being ordained in the Church of England he was a member of the Royal Marines, when he left here a few years ago he left Steven his sidearm that he carried protecting the Queen and her family. Father Ashley led a church in El Paso, TX for many years, and he always had time to listen to anyone who needed to talk. He presided over the funerals of many of my friends, he counseled me through many of the roughest times of my life even as his leukemia raged through his system. He worked with Steven to help him understand why some things happen, and why we learn and go on, and that some friends are just meant to die young. When Steven needed to talk to a Chaplain during basic training he was allowed to call Father Ashley, and when I couldn't help my son he helped me understand why. Every year at this time he got me through my victim's impact statement, this time on the 24th I'll do it alone.

Father Ashley couldn't stand to see an animal suffer, from a pigeon to a donkey, a dog, cat, rat, hamster, he didn't care. He ran himself almost bankrupt paying vet bills and buying feed and supplies, he housed many animals on his acreage. They were all clean, healthy, shots up to date, but he was a victim of a witch hunt, called a hoarder, his animals were taken and most of them destroyed except for those that were taken by the evil ones leading the pack. For this reason he left his church, Chaparral, and his friends and moved back to Clovis, NM where he had lived years before. During the last two years he wouldn't allow anyone to see him as his leukemia was out of remission and he was growing thinner and unhelathier by the day. I like to think that when he got to the Rainbow Bridge this morning that every animal and human that he loved and loved him were waiting there to greet him and walk him over the bridge.

When Father Ashley left here, he left with me his beloved Beagle, Sir Elliot. Elliot will be 28 years old on his next birthday and Father Ashley didn't want him subjected to the colder winters in Clovis. I don't know how much longer it will be until Elliot meets his beloved Father Ashley at the Rainbow Bridge, but the reunion will be a joyous one.

I wanted everyone to know about Father Louis Cochram Ashley because this morning this Earth and all of God's creatures lost one of the only pure-hearted, loving, human beings.

2. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    [​IMG]

3. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Thanks for sharing with us. He sounds like a wonder man. And now, he is at peace. [​IMG]

4. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    Thank you for a beautiful tribute to a beautiful soul.

5. AhBee01

AhBee01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    yo. ohio
    Sorry for your loss. He sounds like a wonderful man, I wish there were more like him out there.

6. Spookwriter

Spookwriter Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Ohio
    I know that this man will be greatly missed by those who knew him.

Even as he touched the life of those around him, take comfort tonight
    in the knowledge that his work here was done. He's went home now.

And in his brief stay in this world...He made the world a better place.

7. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    [​IMG]

8. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

What a beautiful tribute!! What a special person!! I know this is a sad story, but its such a wonderful one! I love the idea of the Rainbow Bridge.

9. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Thank you. Telling my son was the hardest thing I have ever done. He is still at AIT at Ft. Leonard Wood, he graduates the 20th, Father Ashley's service is the 16th.

10. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Awww Kate. What a beautiful tribute. It sounds as though you blessed his life as much as he blessed yours.
    May your memories keep both you and Steven strong through these days of mourning.
    ((hugs))

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by