Fathers are goop together on a silkie chick just hatched

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Seeing Silkies, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Seeing Silkies

Seeing Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Columbia TN
    Fathers are goop together on a silkie chick just hatched, it is dry now & hard, has feathers matted down?? These chicks were hatched unday a broody hen & she killed some and i tried to save these 3, there were big pip holes ( i think from the hen ) and they were all but dryed up. I brought them in played dr mom, they are out of the shell.. the one with the sticky stuff / hard stuff on his feathers is doing the best... what do i do about what is on him.. There other 2 dont have it?????

what a mess [​IMG]

2. Seeing Silkies

Seeing Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Columbia TN
    Since no one has answered I think I will post what i have leared.. out of the 3 only one made it - The one with the goop. I dont know what it was but I just kept moving the matted down feathers with my finger, I had it on a white towel and some of his feather even feel out, no buld spots or any thing just tiny feathers were all over the towle.

He's a pic of the show girl that made it, with no more goop on it & seems to be doing well

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by