1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Fathers Day question on cards?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Spookwriter, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Spookwriter

Spookwriter Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Ohio
    Another useless question from the Spook house.

My daughter has been all evening putting the finishing touches
    on her fathers day gift for me tomorrow.

"Daddy, don't come in here". She was working at the kitchen table.

So now there's a gift and a card laying there, like I can't see a thing.

I know it's a t-shirt with our names on it...King Daddy and Hana. Someday
    I'll share the story of King Daddy. I've always been.

But the card...I'll put it in the box with the rest of all the cards she's ever
    given me. I've saved every one. Do other fathers save the cards, or am I just
    strange?

A bunch of useless stuff I've saved over the years. All the cards from my wife a
    and daughter.

Most useless? Her baby tooth. Her first one lost is in her babybook, but the last
    one...she was growing up...it's right here in top desk drawer.

Growing up too quick.

Spook

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I am a mother, so I can't speak to Fathers Day card, but I have a box with all my son's artwork, clay things, drawings, pictures, etc., and it is very special to me. Remember those large sugar eggs that have a scene inside all made of sugar? I got him one for his 1st Easter and still have it. He is now 21. I also scrapbook on occasion, and I have three albums with alot of very precious memories.

The best thing you can do is hold on to that stuff for your child to receive when you pass. I am sure my son will be surprised and the stuff I collected.

[​IMG]

And your posts are NOT useless.

3. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I know my father saves at least some of my cards, because I've gone to his house and seen them there on a shelf from a year or two prior, sometimes with a bow that was originally attached to a gift next to it. [​IMG]

I save every card and even every little note my father has ever written to me. Even little post-it's that say "I love you". I keep them all in a special jewelry box that I've had since I was a little girl. I also keep in it some coins that he gave me as a child. Once he gave me a penny with his birth year and told me to keep it safe and "someday" he would ask for it to see if I was responsible. That was about 35 years ago, and I still have it. Once in my early 30's I pulled it out and said "Are you ever going to ask to see this?" It still had his writing on the cardboard coin cover of the date he gave it to me. My dad does not usually show his emotions, but he suddenly became overwhelmed and stepped out into my yard in tears, trying to walk around and gain composure.

I am very sentimental when it comes to my father, and I treasure each one of those little notes and cards. I know you were asking more about what fathers save, but there's a daughters perspective.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
  4. EmtheFishLady

EmtheFishLady We're all mad here Premium Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Glen, MS
    I really love seeing father's who value those type of things. I keep everything my daughter does. I have little doodles Lily does. I've filled two scrapbooks, and she's turning 2 next month. I value everything my daughter does. I even keep little weeds she picks and brings to me. I love your posts Spook. You always make me smile. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by