Fatigue hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cochunk, Dec 5, 2011.

1. cochunk

cochunk Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2011
    Out 9 month old australorp hen (zelda) started to not seem like herself this afternoon. normally when one of us walk out the back door (they are free range) the girls run towards you, but zelda didn't come, instead she was behind a bush sortof pecking around but not in her usual manner of being energetic, and lively.
    We brought her into the house, and put her in a kennel.

we think it might be due to the girls being out in the heavy rain ( we live in oregon) and might have caught a cold, shes drinking lots of water but looks as thought she doesn't have the strengh to eat solid foods.

2. Bocktobery 10

Bocktobery 10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
    Hi cochunk,

I'm sorry to hear about your chicken. Its good you brought her inside. THe warmth will help. I'm concerned that she is drinking a lot of water.. How much water? What does her poo look like? It might help to know what its consistency looks like. (Diarrhea? normal? Green? Watery? White?)

Another thing that might help a sick chicken to eat is to give it tiny pieces of food to eat. For some reason this is what my sick chickens always went for- the tiniest piece of food. Also treats like yogurt or a raison or some cooked then cooled oats may intice her to eat more.

I'm sorry I don't know what is going on with her, but just thought I'd offer the above so that you might get her to eat something. I'm assuming too it is cold in oregon at this time of year- perhaps the rain and cold was too much for her. Is she sneezing at all? Runny nose? Cough?

Perhaps someone else here can help you more. Best wishes for a happy recovery for your hen.

3. Chicken_Pauper

Chicken_Pauper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Southern California
    Has she been wormed? Free range chickens especially are prone to getting worms from eating bugs, worms, etc...

So many symptoms are thought to be something else that are actually worms.. internal (worms) or external (mites) parasites.

Search here on BYC for "worming", "worming with Valbazen"... "using Sevin Dust"... "giving oral medications"... "giving food and water orally", "avoiding the airway when giving oral medications", etc... note posts by dawg53 on worming and "how much Valbazen".... "dosages of Valbazen", "worming", etc.

Good luck.

4. KalikoFarms

KalikoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    Bocktobery, what does green poop mean? Mine started yesterday not all of them just some that were just shipped to me.
    Thanks
    Rita

5. cochunk

cochunk Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2011
    Last night when she did poop, it was very watery. there was yogurt, some banana, and small bits of food in the kennel for her.
    And i guess shes doing much better, was even brought back outside this morning, and ran up to me when I opened the back door. [​IMG]

I'll look into the worms and keep an eye on her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by